1997 Fast road/track/sprint spec C20XE SEIW (sold)

D7PNY

After much deliberation I have decided to put my westfield up for sale.

Mainly down to a combination of young family meaning lack of time and the desire for something more usable more often – I may change my mind and/or live to regret it as I am in 2 minds about it in all honesty! Worth testing what the appetite is for it regardless I thought.

Car has been used for occasional runs on the road, local sprints and hillclimbs and one track day in my 3 year ownership.

Prior to that, the car underwent a rebuild as it had been involved in a light accident and was subsequently written off by insurers. This was only light damage consisting of a buckled wheel, bent wishbone (which I still have in the garage) and bodywork damage. Only chassis damage was one small section at the rear which was replaced. I have photos documenting before, during and after repairs that I am happy to email to any potential buyers.

The car in my eyes is a fast road/track car that is capable of putting in quick times at sprints/hillclimbs. As such, it is not mint to look at and has some marks in the fibreglass but in my eyes is very presentable for a track orientated car.

I'll undoubtedly have missed some bits but basic spec of the car is as follows:

ENGINE:

• 2.0 16v Vauxhall redtop
  • Twin Weber 45’s with ITG Filter
  • Full top end rebuild summer 2012 with reconditioned head
  • QED Q42H cams
  • SBD Exhaust and manifold with Carbon can
  • QED Lowline wet sump
  • Polo radiator (brand new)
  • Omex speed system rev limiter and shift light
  • 82deg stat
  • Running 195bhp after set up following new head/cams. (previously 165bhp on same rolling road when standard)
GEARBOX:
  • 5 speed type 9
  • Gear lever extension and quick shift
  • Sierra 4x4 Limited Slip Diff (3.9)
BRAKES:
  • Front - Alloy 4 pots, grooved and drilled
  • Rear - Sierra 4x4 grooved and drilled.
SUSPENSION:
  • AVO Shocks rear, Gaz front
  • Rose jointed arms
  • Anti roll bar front (rear removed)
  • Set up and Corner weighted 2 weeks ago at GWRacing.
STEERING:
  • Titan Alloy steering rack
  • Rose jointed rod ends
  • Fully adjustable
BODY:
  • V8 bonnet
  • Lightweight Playskool nosecone (Brand new)
  • Old ducted nose still available (seen better days)
  • Playskool rear diffuser (Brand new/not fitted)
  • Playskool MSA Rollbar
  • Carbon effect rear stoneguards
  • Carbon effect dash
  • 4” dominator headlights (Brand new)
  • Additional bracing on front of chassis
Wheels:
  • 9 x 13” Compomotive CXR’s on rear with part worn R888s 225/45/13 (Rear arches widened to suit)
  • 7 x 13” Compomotive CXR’s on front (Brand new) with brand new R888s 205/60/13
  • Spare brand new ACB10’s (non road legal version in harder compound)

Various spares including, carpet, seat runners, wishbones, and all sorts of bits like alternator, sump, etc all to be included in a box of spares.

Following track tuition at Knockhill last April, my cylinder head gave up (had gone porous and cracked through to valves) I had a replacement head (GM) rebuilt with the uprated cams whilst it was off. Rear crankshaft seal also replaced while engine was out. Also took the opportunity to replace the clutch.

Cambelt replaced Winter 2011.

Mileage showing as just under 11k but speedo not connected (disconnected by previous owner as it was inaccurate and I’ve never reconnected it) so in reality, mileage would be nearer 12k. I have always used a snooper display on the road which I would be happy to include in the sale.

1997 on a P reg, 12 Months MOT, 5 months tax

With front end off (whilst changing timing belt) showing additional bracing, steering rack etc.

IMAG0460_zpsfec2a3e6.jpg

DSCF0406_zps08ced0da.jpg

IMAG0869_zps2ec49133.jpg

IMAG0870_zps9e0faac3.jpg

IMG-20130428-WA0000_zpsfd17c5b7.jpg

Newarches_zps080ffc06.jpg

Newrear_zpsf6d928b7.jpg

I understand that the previous accident damage has an effect on value but taking that into account and the relative high spec of the car I am looking for £7,500 ono.

With the car, I also have a Brian James Trailer that I have recently covered. Trailer was overhauled Feb 2012 with completely new brakes (Cables, Backing plates shoes the lot).

Over winter this year, I got longer ramps (8ft long) to aid loading the car as previously had to un hook from car and tilt etc which knackered the Jockey wheel over time. I have just replaced the Jockey wheel.

The cover is a clamshell design to keep weight and drag down and has been covered in Aluminium.

Big selling point is I can tow this on my post 1997 licence so is suitable for others in the same boat depending on your tow car (re. unladen weights etc) I do have a trailer plate sitting to go on so can arrange this to be stamped to suit a buyers needs.

IMAG0887_zpsc48b011a.jpg

Going by what these sort of things seem to go for on Pistonheads etc I am asking £2k ono

As a Combined package there would be a deal to be done but not desperate to sell.

Thanks,

Dave

Looks cheap for the spec. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks guys.

Chances are I'll withdraw the advert after the hillclimb I have at the weekend but for a couple of months I've been backwards and forwards in my head.Do I, don't I etc.

Then as soon as I put the advert up I had that horrible feeling of regret...

Dave

That exhaust is a thing of beauty....

Dave, cancel it now. That's an order  :)

I regret selling my Elise. HM wouldn't drive as she complained about getting in and out. So in a weak moment I sold it. I was in two minds and now wish I hadn't. I should have bought her a Clio and left the Elise for me. 

So, if in doubt, keep it.

Put it another way, you'll never regret keeping it.

I think you are right Norman, will never regret keeping it. Funnily enough, the wife thinks I should keep it so maybe she does know best after all?

That exhaust is a thing of beauty....

Should be the price of it from sbd!!

Our better halves usually know best. Mine does (except when she's wrong - but are you going to tell her, I'm not)

Keep it bro.... I couldnt sell a car that I had developed that much just as wont ever sell Q82  :yes:

• Like 1

Dave

Off topic a bit, but what did you use to create the wider rear arches? I'm guessing that you might have fixed arches there, but the fix looks a neat solution.

Are they classic mini arch extenders? 

Cheers

I believe they are!

Sorry to see you're selling up Dave... maybe you need a couple of local blats to convince yourself to keep it  ;)

Dave

Off topic a bit, but what did you use to create the wider rear arches? I'm guessing that you might have fixed arches there, but the fix looks a neat solution.

Are they classic mini arch extenders? 

Cheers

Yeah, they are classic mini arches trimmed to suit with a dremmel.  As you point out, I have fixed arch tub so seemed the best solution without involving body shop etc.

I think on the sort of car it is it looks pretty good.  Don't think it would look great on a show car for example but in this application I think it works well. Especially with the already, blue/black colour scheme.

I believe they are!

Sorry to see you're selling up Dave... maybe you need a couple of local blats to convince yourself to keep it  ;)

Thanks Adam,

I have been for a couple of runs in it since MOT and have enjoyed it which is why I am still in 2 minds about selling.

As soon as I put the advert up, I did kind of regret it immediately so perhaps that tells me something.

I have Fintray hillclimb this weekend and Golspie sprint (that I've never done before) next weekend so will see how I feel after those - no doubt it will change my mind :)

Will leave it up for now and see. If anything, I'll at least get some decent pictures of it in action with it's slightly new look.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave

Will probably see you at Fintry on Sunday

You will enjoy Golspie if only for the commentary!!

Steve

Keep it Dave! Looks a well sorted Westie! Exhaust looks great too!

Had the same thoughts as you explain for selling, 4 kids to look after limits use, did the Elise option, which really didn't do it for me! Nothing wrong with Elise just I found it no where near as entertaining… have moved back to a Duratec Westie. Puts a big smile on my face every time I use her or tinker!! Get a track day booked or hill climb!

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.