Swapping Crossflow for RS Turbo engine - Good idea?

mdj169

I have a 1600 xflow with stage two head, piper cam, 1300cc pistons and twin 40 webbers. According to Burtons tuning guides I should be pushing around 130 bhp but i believe it to be nearer 100bhp however in favour of more power and speed i'm thinking about changing it for a series 2 RS Turbo engine.

I've been speaking with the guys at bogg brothers and they are happy to take on the challenge but i just wondered if anyone had done it before?

It doesn't seem to be a common choice engine but they can easily push 185 bhp with very little modification so i'm keen to listen to others opinions.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FILFAN

• Norman Verona

• User0083

• greenandmean

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

im sure others have done the conversion and more specific advice will be along in the morning.   your usaly looking at 2k for most engine swaps especialy when going to injection as you have to facto

You can get a 2.0 mondeo motor for a couple of hundred and should give 160 bhp on webers. If you sold the turbo motor and the Xflow you might even do the swap ( which is easy) and for virtually nothin

Got a 190bhp x flow for sale, makes swapping a piece of cake and with 9500 rpm's to play with what more do you want.  

its still only a 1.6 cvh with a turbo stuck on it which i think produced 132hp in its standard form. why go to the expense and complexity of fitting a turbo when you could get the simila  performance by fitting a 2l and twin webbers

Hi Phil, it was either the RS or a 2L with the webbers but having talked with Bogg Bros they believed the 2L to be a more expensive option. I love the fealing as the turbo kicks in and i have a donor car which i can either sell on if i choose not to use it, or sell whats left if i do.

The donor has sensible mods including a t3 turbo.

I'm wondering what the drive-ability would be like, and how come not many people do it.

I only paid £1200 for a complete RS Turbo Cab and boggs want £1500 to £2000 to do the transplant so by the time ive sold whats left including the xflow i shouldnt be too worse off.

im sure others have done the conversion and more specific advice will be along in the morning.

your usaly looking at 2k for most engine swaps especialy when going to injection as you have to factor in a high pressure fuel system though you can do it cheaper if you take your time sourcing parts and do alot of the work yourself. 

• Like 1

You can get a 2.0 mondeo motor for a couple of hundred and should give 160 bhp on webers. If you sold the turbo motor and the Xflow you might even do the swap ( which is easy) and for virtually nothing .

Any swap like this will cost about £2k in parts , your turbo more as you factor in a fuel system change . If you end up spending about 4k inc labour , you may be better off selling and buying something else .

• Like 1
User0083

I have a 1800 Zetec on webers and I'm getting 150 mark. I've seen many crated zetec's 2.0 for £750ish.

The RSTurbo won't be as reliable and yes turbo kicking in feels good, I had 2.0 pinto with T3 and 170 BHP. A few issues I had were damp or wet and driving at a good pace the wheels would spin as turbo kicked in half the time. I also found on a track day that on some corners the turbo would kick in as I put power down, wheels spin and it made me very cautious to really floor it.

Other issues I had wont apply to you, but mine went pop in a big blue ball of smoke! I then worked out why not many pinto's are turbo'd.

I really do prefer the N/A zetec 1800 over the Turbo Pinto. Far smoother, power's always there and the car's far more drivable. The handling feels sharper and better too...

SootySport

I would always go the normally aspirated route for more power,   turbo's on a light 7 type car are very unpredictable, especially in cold and wet conditions.     2litre Zetecs, Duratecs and Vauxhall XE's are goodfor 180bhp with some mild tuning.

pickmaster Andy Lowe

I like my xflow to ST170 swap turbo kick without the turbo :):):)

And loads of potential for tuning

Norman Verona

Before anyone start shouting, I'm only the messenger. 

I was told that a turbo on a Seven type car created problems with cooling the air due to the size of the intercooler that can be fitted. I said that I knew of a few Westfields with Cosworth YB installs and seemed to produce good figures on a RR. His response was that the huge fan used on a RR with the nose cone off would work far better than driving along a road. He also said he'd been out in a YB turboed car and it didn't seem to him to be producing the claimed power.

A cheap Duratec on Webers should give circa 400 bhp per ton. Some hot cams with the standard exhaust will also give a kick as it comes "on cam"

If your really after the kick you get from a turbo why not spend a little more and go down the s2000 engine route. You could get the vtec mapped to give you a kick though as said its not the best on a light car

turbo engines in 7's dont work when trying to drive em hard , they make the car unpredictable and not nice to drive

greenandmean

Got a 190bhp x flow for sale, makes swapping a piece of cake and with 9500 rpm's to play with what more do you want. :d  :d

• Like 1
User0083

Got a 190bhp x flow for sale, makes swapping a piece of cake and with 9500 rpm's to play with what more do you want. :d  :d

I like this idea...

Rhett - Joint Black Country AO

I know we are not talking Caterham but I seem to remember an associated article when they released the R600 regarding super charging and turbo charging, it was along the lines of they would not consider a turbo in a 7 type car because of the peaky power delivery, with them being so light with so little weight over the driven wheels turbo charging would cause issues with handling where as the power could arrive too suddenly while still mid corner.

The smoother delivery of power with a super charger makes for a predictable drive and no sudden unexpected power increase when you don't quite want it.