Wheels & tyres

Zumbruk

My 1997 SEiW 2litre Zetec is presently running on 17" wheels with (yuck) Hankooks (don't blame me, I didn't fit them!)  Following a track day on Sunday, these are apparently made of wood. Talking to someone running a (very swift) Cossie Westfield at the track day, he recommended putting Yoko A048s on 13" wheels. The recommendation for Yokos was echoed by a friend with an Atom.  So ... (My Westie is solely for track days (or the occasional Sunday afternoon thrash), so a track day tyre is fine.)

- Is the suggestion of this wheel/tyre combo "sensible"? As opposed to (say) a 15" wheel and Toyo 888s? I have a soft spot for 888s from using them on my other car.

- If so, what widths should I be thinking of fitting? And what size tyres for those?  I have detachable rear arches, so are we looking at 8s on the front and 10s on the rear?

- What offsets are normal for these?

Thanks in advance from a wheel/tyre numpty. Apologies for the dumb questions ....

User0083

I use 15" and Toyo's.

But more road use than track. All of the people I've met that are more track than road use 13". So guessing that's help towards first bit.

I've used A048's on Mini's, MGBGT and my MG Midget and can't fault them.

• Like 1
Jontysafe

I have 205/50/15 a048r on my cossie Powered westfield and they work well, so long as you can get a bit of temp in them.

8.0" and 10.0" are wheels is pretty over kill for a Zetec powered Westfield. The size of the tyres you'd need for them mean you'd have to push very hard to get heat in them.

7.0x13" all round on 205/60R13 would be more than sufficient grip wise.

Cleggy the Spyder Man

8.0" and 10.0" are wheels is pretty over kill for a Zetec powered Westfield. The size of the tyres you'd need for them mean you'd have to push very hard to get heat in them.

7.0x13" all round on 205/60R13 would be more than sufficient grip wise.

Sort of what he said...

Many use 185/60/13 on the front as this helps with improved turn in (I think down to more heat in the narrower tyre)

13" are a better all around size for this sort of car IMO

Terzo204

Sort of what he said...

Many use 185/60/13 on the front as this helps with improved turn in (I think down to more heat in the narrower tyre)

13" are a better all around size for this sort of car IMO

Having asked this question recently I can echo the above as being the consensus. 205 rears with 185 fronts. Purchase pending!

Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary

Nothing wrong with 205s all round

simon besant

I am moving from a 15 inch wheel to a 16 inch wheel purely due to there being a much wider choice of tyre size and they are £50 a corner cheaper

Can't go smaller due to size of front brakes

6carjon

Yes my Seight runs 7 *15 with 205 all round and as long as you buy a soft track tyre it works fine in my useage. for a 2 litre 13inch seem to be almost standard if you use smaller brakes. 

OK, I'm convinced;  205/60R13 on 7x13 all round it is.

I see A048s are offered in both soft and medium compound. Any suggestions as to which to buy?

Anyone recommend some wheels? Are these any good? (I quite fancy a Minilite look-alike);

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140515165227

I still need to know what the offsets should be; would they be the same as the 17s?

Again, apologies for the dumb questions!

stephenh

What tyre could you want that isn't available for 15 inch?

Ben

Wot he said? ???  ???

It is 13" rims which have a limited range of tyres for road use, although fine for track use. I use 15" rims for road and trackday use, but 13" rims for sprinting.It has the advantage of lowering the car for sprinting, but giving reasonable (by Westfield standards) ground clearance for road use.

6carjon

they certainly look authentic but I would ask what each one weighs, i expect it will be less than your 17's though !

Et of 7 looks ambitious .If you like how your current ones look and fit then check the back of them and choose the same ET, i would expect in the ET37 - 25 range but each one is different and I use ET 15 with a bit of front cycle wing modification.

i would choose soft compounds for track use with such a light car, someone may correct me...

Rhett - Joint Black Country AO

I noticed the factory are selling a set of 4 pro race 1.2 7x13 with 888s for the discounted price of £725 at the moment.