Oooppsss

kirkyboy5

Knew there was another dream car i wanted thats two ive seen destroyed the other met its death in a tunnel

would a little car fire extinguisher really have helped?

Certainly made me think I should get one for my Westfield! Particularly as I'm servicing the carbs and overhauling the cooling system and dash myself. One can only guess whether it will be an electrical fire or something fuel related :d

I had a ford spartan once and it did the same thing to me....  insurance payout was a long way of million mind  :p

Certainly made me think I should get one for my Westfield! Particularly as I'm servicing the carbs and overhauling the cooling system and dash myself. One can only guess whether it will be an electrical fire or something fuel related :d

if its for your garage i would get a proper one not one of those ****** little car ones!

Indeed, for the garage I've got a proper full size extinguisher suitable for fuel/oil/electrical etc. fires, I've also got a fire blanket on the basis that even a full size extinguisher isn't that much help unless you can try and limit the spread of any fire.

would a little car fire extinguisher really have helped?

Yes it would, for every large fire starts as a small flame. As the driver, you're instantly on hand to tackle the fire.

When you get your extinguisher, read the instructions on it so that you're familiar with them and not left faffing about (too much) if the worst should happen ;-)

Bombero, how true. When I was running a garage in the West End in the early 70s one of the lads was cleaning an engine bay with a mixture of gunk and paraffin. He was using a paint brush with 1/2" of bristles and a metal band. The brush shorted out on the battery terminal to the battery carrier frame. Whoosh. Being Greek he panicked and ran across the forecourt screaming hysterically. By the time I'd calmed him down so I could understand what was wrong there was thick smoke coming from the bay where the car, a Singer Vogue, was burning away.

I ran in taking a small Tryco extinguisher with me. Like pee'ing in the ocean. I then ran out out and collected a large red water/foam extinguisher. I pulled the pin and banged down the lever. I held the hose ready for a rush of foam but nothing came out. I had to read the instructions.

Now, when you're standing in front of a burning car and trying to read the instructions on how to use a fire extinguisher "Invert to use" doesn't mean much. It took me a few seconds to understand that I needed to turn it upside down.

As soon as I did it went off. The hose was flying all over the place spraying foam everywhere except the fire.  I grabbed the hose, turned it on the engine bay and the fire was out in seconds. 

However by then 3 fire engines had turned up (this garage had underground fuel tanks). I showed them it was out and it was only the wiring and hoses that had burnt. No, they wound down a window, stuck a huge hose in and turned it on. the car filled to the roof. It was a precaution in case any wiring was still smoldering. Car was a write off.

So, take it from me, learn how to use the fire extinguishers.

Had a fuel leak from my twin 40s whilst at a filling station in the south of France once. Turned the key and the ignition did what it should just in the wrong place! My little fire extinguisher turned out to be a very good investment indeed that day. Had the fire out before any damage was done as the fire never got chance to take hold.