2L zetec

martyblues

A wet sump is just one that uses the sump as a resevoir for oil - as opposed to a dry sump (just in case you weren't taking the pish out of me)  :laugh:  :t-up:

I suppose there might not be an exact deffinition of a crate engine, but I've usually seen it used to mean an engine that is more or less ready to un-box and fit in a car, and that has most, if not always, all, bolt on ancilaries fitted.

ie the Kitspare one has:

- Throttle body
- Engine loom
- Injectors
- Fuel rail
- Inlet and Exhaust manifolds
- Leads and plugs
- Coil pack
- Water pump
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Thermostat housing
- Oil filter
- Sump

You have different terms for different "amounts" of "engine" that you buy, so you can also buy crate engines, half engines and short engines.

Half would IIRC be just the basic block, crank, rods and pistons.

Short, again, IIRC, would be the more or less complete lower lower half of the engine, ie an almost complet unit, but twith no head or inlet manifold/carbs/throttle body or anything else attached to the head.

I guess you don't see all the terms used so much now as in the days when cars needed engine replacements or major overhauls quite so much.

Zetec engined were built in big numbers and loads of spares would have been made to service the spares requirements up to and after the end of the original cars lives. After that, they get steadily less valuable. (Except where for some reason a particular motor becomes sought after and artificially keeps value high)

• Like 1

Gadget man has correctly identified all the items supplied already fitted to the engine in the crate !

Bargain I say

Bob

Zetec 2.0l New Engine (Kitparts Direct)

£ 749.00

Raceline Sump (Raceline)

£ 454.86

Zetec Starter Motor (Raceline)

£ 85.00

Westfield Exhaust (ebay)

£ 227.00

Megajolt ECU (triggerwheels)

£ 263.49

spigot bearing

£ 8.00

Zetec Engine Mounts (GBS)

£ 70.00

idler pulley (Retro Ford)

£ 35.00

alternator mount (Retro Ford)

£ 85.00

denso alternator (Electrostart)

£ 108.00

How much did it cost in total do you think? I keep thinking about changing from the pinto

Hi Jacko,

this is a list of parts and prices of the major part i went for,

i still have the plumbing to do yet so i reckon another £150 or so and that should be it.....there is probably about 100 quids worth of other bits ad bobs...

can be done cheaper ie cheaper sump etc but the raceline does look the mutz....

all being well will be taking the westie to Bogg Bros in the next few week for steve to do the bike carbs and set up...

then ready for the summer...(if we get one this year)

hope this helps...

Greggs,

• Like 1

sorry forgot to mention, its a blacktop.

so it was either a reversed water pump impeller or an idler to get the water pump to turn the right way.

Cheers,

Greggs.

Don't forget when pricing up, to allow for things like a rolling road set up of the new carbs/injection system. Base maps are just that, a starting point, just like base jetting on a set of carbs. They need tweaking to correct for all the small differences in installation and between seemingly identical engines.

Yeah that is true Dave,

I reckon it will all come in at about 3K, also i have the added cost of altering the bonnet as mine is a lowline..... :down:

the crossflow in mine had sat idle for 6 years prior to me buying the car, so it would of cost a fair few quid to get that running properly.

Hopefully i can reclaim some money by selling the original crossflow gear.

If you enjoy tinkering/working on the car, then it's (the cost) just part of the hobby, in my view. For many, this part of ownership brings as much pleasure and fulfilment as driving, trackdays, competing etc do to others. No different to fuel costs, entry fees etc, it's just one of those costs we pay to enjoy the hobby we love. :yes:

Yep i must admit.... Mine it getting close to being on the road soon and i will miss the tinkering... Mind you there will always be something to alter on the car......

Nice one, thanks Greggs. It sure does mount up, but worth it in the long run.

its a fair and balanced list i agree  ........ but.....   its also Very easy to shave off 1500

• 3 weeks later...

As the info I had about the supplier was old and it's crated engine... Considering this myself, but zetec 1800 silver to a 2.0 black top's actually a pretty big job. Exhaust is other side as a big difference, but I think most the other bits should fit...