2L zetec

martyblues

I hope not ... I bought one a bit ago, transplanting it now.... Should be up and running in a few weeks..

One thing i will say is the engine is the cheap bit.... Spent way more one other bits than i did on the engine...!!

Cheers,

Greggs..

When I owned a Robin Hood, it changed to GBS, which has many connections with kit spares.

I can't remember how it all linked or why this was a bad idea... However I was warned off kit spares and products of theirs I have seen and had myself never seem quite right and I've always regretted it. Their parts seem lower quality and like attention to detail and quality is missing.

But not heard any real horror stories.

When I owned a Robin Hood, it changed to GBS, which has many connections with kit spares.

I can't remember how it all linked or why this was a bad idea... However I was warned off kit spares and products of theirs I have seen and had myself never seem quite right and I've always regretted it. Their parts seem lower quality and like attention to detail and quality is missing.

But not heard any real horror stories.

It's new and made by Ford, so no reason why the quality is poor.

I understand that, but kit spares were a bit "Steer Clear!"

However that was two years ago and the company may have progressed and improved. I'm willing to try them again in the future.

There's been some good feedback of them on here over the past few years and some excellent feedback about them over on the Locost site. There does appear to be a bit of politics around between them and GBS, but AFAIK that doesn't actually reflect quality, just the past history of some of the people involved.

The guy who owns KitBits used to be a director at GBS. He fell out with the current directors and left. I don't know the full ins and outs but apparently he was not good news and left them in a mess.

Kit Spares is the parts arm of GBS and offer a good service. I have one of these Zetec crate engines in my Zero and it is a good engine. I have been very happy with my dealings with them.

I have one of these engines, got it a year ago and started it last week. It started great and runs very well so far. Fingers crossed the car flies through the IVA and the engine works really well for many years to come.

I bought one as a spare for my car

Just in case it blew, or I decided to go tuning.

Paid £659 delivered brand new on a pallet, nice insurance....

Bob, following supercharging thread !!!

Whoosh !

I hope not ... I bought one a bit ago, transplanting it now.... Should be up and running in a few weeks..One thing i will say is the engine is the cheap bit.... Spent way more one other bits than i did on the engine...!!Cheers,Greggs..

How much did it cost in total do you think? I keep thinking about changing from the pinto

• Like 1

It's not uncommon for the average engine swap to run to somewhere around the £2000 mark, and that doesn't include engine!

Some , vary rare ones, manage it for vastly less, but then they're also the same ones that seem to be able to get any conceivable spare for buttons or swaps. Plenty end up spending a fair amount more, especially if reconditioning parts or upgrading takes place.

Of course, you may be able to claw some of the cost back, selling the parts you remove! Especially if they appear clean, presentable and in decent nick when advertised.

If you're planning on swapping to a reasonably popular engine, but one that is in itself popular to upgrade, you may be able to pick parts up for the conversion on the second hand market at keen prices if you're prepared to bide your time and gather the bits you need gradually.

it also depends on how you want the car to look afterwards. (If you'll be able to adapt existing parts and live with extra holes where old bits were etc)

I bought one as a spare for my car

Just in case it blew, or I decided to go tuning.

Paid £659 delivered brand new on a pallet, nice insurance....

Bob, following supercharging thread !!!

Whoosh !

A whole 2.0L zetec engine really cost £659?  I'm astonished.  About to pay little short of that for a wet sump..

There's a thought.. What sump does it come with? :d

.. and what is a crated engine?