Lots more done this last couple of weeks ready for spring/summer.
Fitted the Raceline sump, this turned out to be a big job (full details here for anyone looking to do the same), I gave it a new set of bolts, seals and o-rings...and I’m really happy I invested, not only is it a proper, baffled RWD sump for piece of mind on track - it’s also ~60mm shallower than the FWD sump fitted before. This did mean I had to trim the bellhousing which was a horrible job under the car with a hack saw but now the lowest point of the car by far is the chassis hoop which is much more preferable!
While I was under there I noticed one of the trans mounts was perished and as well as the clutch arm boot, so I replaced this and will order a replacement rubber mount also (anyone advise part no/suppler?)
I also stripped and repainted the exhaust bracket and replaced the rubber mount. The more I go over the car I realise that after 20 years most rubber/plastic parts are damaged/perished and need replacement.
Anything I replace I try to either paint, swap out for stainless and/or give a good coat of copperslip to try and avoid future corrosion.
I also got my new battery cables (custom made by Electrical Car Services) I was extremely impressed by these guys, they were really helpful on advising cable type via email, provide soldering and crimping service with plastic conduit option, and the cables arrived 48hrs after ordering!...if only all suppliers were that efficient
A small upgrade but worth a mention - I tarted up my new steering wheel with a custom badge made by Go To Graphics
I pulled apart the unused horn mechanism and bonded a piece of G10 plastic in place, Simon is able to supply any size badge so I ordered 39mm which fits perfectly, very happy with this little mod.
Last but not least I stripped back all the ally cooling pipes, re-jigged the heater circuit a little to be closer to the exhaust (to aid warm up), painted satin black and ordered a load of black silicone hosing with stainless clips to finish...all plumbed in and so far working great. The engine bay looks loads cleaner now and the silicone hose is a nice finishing touch.
just need to give everything a good clean, polish and fit some new foam tape now before I get in to cutting the bonnet for the ITG filter fit.
It’s back on the road now and still have plenty of jobs to do but I’m looking forward to finally going to a club meet in an actual Westy this week... and am booked in to Stoneleigh and a couple of track days too...roll on summer!
Made a little video to celebrate: