Thought I’d update this as it’s been a while and lots has changed. After a great day on track at Donington yesterday I’m finally happy with how balanced and reliable the car now is.
So last year I picked up a raceline phase 3 blacktop engine that had covered 1000 miles. It’s their 200hp engine with RL200 cams with Kent vernier pulleys, a head skim to bring the compression ratio up, a Port and polish and ARP bolts throughout.
The main noticeable difference from the 1.8 sipvertop it replaced was the tourqe. Although It was a great engine I find the blacktop more enjoyable to drive.
Durning the engine swap i decided to change the bellhousing to an alloy item and also picked up a BGH gearbox at the same time.
Next up I picked up a pair of early Tillett W1 seats from a guy down in Bristol who had them in his caterham.
These made a massive difference when driving especially on track, as you can probably tell they are very snug. Whilst fitting the seats I opted to fit some 4 point harnesses at the same time.
In a bid to keep the weight down I decided to change the front callipers from M16’s and bought a pair of the Westfield (Highspec) callipers and some mtec disks. No noticeable difference in stopping power but it did save quite a bit of weight.
With the macanical bits taken care of I wanted to refresh the engine bay. So had a tidy up of wires, painted up a few brackets. Replaced all the coolant pipes with new black Ash hoses and hard pipes and removed the old alloy header tank.
Bodywork has been on the wish list for a couple of years. The skuttle had seen better days and was looking like swish cheese and the bonnet scoop fitted by a previous owner was not to my taste. After trying and failing to source one I ordered new from Westfield. Looks so much cleaner.
Now ive started to do a few more track days I purchased one of Luke’s MSA half cages and at the same time a slightly larger 290mm momo wheel and quickshift.