Clan McWesty: Strathfillan Wigwams aka Just a Bunch of Cowboys! Hi ALL
I'm writing this to you on behalf of Gary Taylor our new AO, saving him just having to repeat the info that I'd send him, and the fact that the Strathfillan Wigwams are managed by the organisation that I work for! Many of you will recall (if you read your emails and/or check the forum) that we agreed to look at a new venue for our annual June long weekend and the Strathfillan Wigwams came up as the most agreeable and I was to chase it along and I have. A few members have said that they've stayed there before when in the area and it's very good. Details can be found here: https://www.sruc.ac.uk/info/120216/strathfillan_wigwams
I spoke with Rena (the campsite manager) today and we're all go for Friday 21st June check-in to Sunday 23rd June check-out (2 nights). Rena has set aside 7 wigwams (W14-W20) and 2 lodges (Firewater and Beaver, snigger snigger) for us but has said it's not a problem if we need more as there are still other wigwams available for now and also pitches for tents.
Okay, so for the details and points to note:
PLEASE check out the webpage for the campsite from the link above to view the wigwams and lodges and decide on what you personally would like to book and also look at the attached 'hand drawn' plan for bearings. Members have mentioned that this would definitely be a nice alternative to basecamp for tours on roads that we haven't done before.
1. Wigwams (sleep up to 4 if I recall) have basic beds and wee fridges (a slight improvement on Applecross). Lodges (sleep 4-6 if I recall) have en-suite toilet and shower and also microwaves and kettles.
2. There's a shower/kitchen block for well .. .. for showering and kitchening! Kitchen has cookers and microwaves. Showers are £1 for 8 minutes .. I only take 4 minutes so if someone wants to share!!!
3. There's a small shop on-site that has a wee bit extra BBQ food, sweeties, soups, pot noodles, etc .. but I don't think any drink?
4. Every wigwam and lodge has a BBQ pit out front but it might be best to still bring our communal BBQ for our gatherings.
5. I suggest we each bring our own grub (even if just for the second night) and it can be kept fresh in your fridges.
6. We should still take up our Clan shelter but may struggle to pitch it by the wigwams.
7. We can go out for breakfast or the wee shop does hot rolls/coffee in the morning if we give Rena notice!
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NEXT!
1. You need to call 01838 400251 and ask for Rena, then mention that you are part of the Reid group for 2 nights, 21st/22nd June! DO NOT call the 0131 number on the website!!
2. Have a chat with Rena as to what you want ie a wigwam, a lodge or a tent pitch. Note for all you campers - we're not supposed to put up tents next to the wigwams but Rena may be able to allow you to put a couple up. 3. There is a deposit to pay so have your payment details handy!
I think that's all for now. Any questions, just get in touch with me.
That is all!