Mazda SDV Steering Column

Mooch

My long-awaited lower steering column arrived this morning, but when I put it all together, it is too short - when it's all sitting correctly from the steering rack end, I'm short of the dash hoop bolts by around 30mm.  

I've sent photos to Mark in Tech, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has had an issue with this.  Could it be the modified column from the donor is incorrect or am I doing something stupid? :(

Mike

It's not you. When I built my MX5 Westfield, the factory asked me to measure the column as they had previously modified columns and found they were the wrong size, so wouldn't modify mine until I gave them the exact measurement. Did they ask you to measure the column from the donor?

It's not you. When I built my MX5 Westfield, the factory asked me to measure the column as they had previously modified columns and found they were the wrong size, so wouldn't modify mine until I gave them the exact measurement. Did they ask you to measure the column from the donor?

Thanks for the response.  Nope, no request for measurement from Westfield.  I took my donor column in as instructed in the book when I picked up the starter kit and the shortened item came back by post shortly after I had collected the completion kit.  I didn't query it at the time and nor did anyone else - I didn't really have a reason to question this course of action.

That's going to be a pain if the centre section is now nadgered.

Watch this space.....

Mike

I got through 3 columns before they got the length right :D you'll be told that different years and origins of MX5's had different length upper columns, all I know is that I have 5 spares in the back of the garage and they're all exactly the same length as the one on the car :bangshead:

Best thing to do is as Dean suggest's which is to send it back and tell them the length you need.

Don't trust the propshaft measurements in the manual either :D:D:D:D

I got through 3 columns before they got the length right :D you'll be told that different years and origins of MX5's had different length upper columns, all I know is that I have 5 spares in the back of the garage and they're all exactly the same length as the one on the car :bangshead:

Best thing to do is as Dean suggest's which is to send it back and tell them the length you need.

Don't trust the propshaft measurements in the manual either :D:D:D:D

Thanks Mark,

I'd seen your comments on the propshaft from you very helpful site and sent it off with the dimension from the oil seal to the diff flange (663mm if you are interested!) to Baileys and it seems to be fine (although the balance weight is right where the lower front handbrake bolt is... a bit of adjustment needed....)

As for the steering column, I get the picture.  So simple to avoid if someone had mentioned it at Westfield, but no, we have to share the pain....Could this be another example of where the SDV manual might be amended...answers on a postcard to.....

Mike

Only 650mm on mine so I must have my engine further back :D

The balance weigtht on the prop is another potential issue as the rubber gearbox mounts can be a bit soft allowing the gearbox nose to move and the prop hit the handbrake.  RS do some stiffer mounts which will help to cure that problem.

details here

Good luck with the shaft. Westfield received a cad drawing with mine giving exact measurements and tolerances. And guess how it came back.... Wrong.

So in the end I did what I should have done from the start and did it myself.

Did they send you the column back with a massive UJ on the end? Meaning you have to open up the hole in the front bulkhead?

If you get stuck I'm more than willing to help you get it welded up in the correct position :)

Good luck with the shaft. Westfield received a cad drawing with mine giving exact measurements and tolerances. And guess how it came back.... Wrong.

So in the end I did what I should have done from the start and did it myself.

Did they send you the column back with a massive UJ on the end? Meaning you have to open up the hole in the front bulkhead?

Funny old thing...SDV Manual, "drill a 30mm hole here"  OK.....but it needed to be 40mm at least to get that UJ through.  Hole cutters are a bit erratic when you put the pilot drill into a 30mm aperture, so some nifty chain drilling was required.  

Was that something that needed amending in the manual....? Surely not......

I'm not a welder, so I'll have to chance it with the factory, but thanks for the offer.

Mike :bangshead:

I scrapped the UJ and went with a spline to save opening up the hole.

Plus by fitting a spline on the other end this made it easier to fit to the rest of the column.

This is where I start to appreciate my day job when stuff like this came up. I feel for those who cannot just do the bits like the column

The best way to make a nice clean round hole is to use a Q-max cutter, easy to use and less than £10.

I've had a look in the garage and if you need a new column section to send off for modifying I've got a couple of spares, I'll happily send you one for the cost of the postage.

The best way to make a nice clean round hole is to use a Q-max cutter, easy to use and less than £10.

I've had a look in the garage and if you need a new column section to send off for modifying I've got a couple of spares, I'll happily send you one for the cost of the postage.

That is extremely generous, Mark.  Let me see what Tech say tomorrow and I'll let you know.  Worth a beer or three at the very least!

Sounds like a good tool to have.  I trained as an RAF airframe technician many, many moons ago...funny how some of those rusty skills like chain drilling have come in handy!

Mike

Just to fill you in on the latest,  Westfield are going to modify the existing Mazda lower column and add the missing 30mm - I sent it off this morning, so thanks for the offer, but it looks like the existing column can be made to do the job.

Mike :t-up:

Good news :) glad it's getting sorted :t-up: