Mx5 wiper wiring

TIG Brother

So i am the process of finishing up my dash wiring, now i am having a little bit of trouble with the wiper switch.

now thanks to smokeymow's guide it gives me how i need to connect the wires to the savage switch, now i think i am right in guessing that there should be one 12v feed from the fuse box (blue), this then feeds the individual wires of park and speeds from the switch, taking the power supply from the blue wire....

but it seems that i have 12 volt feeds from all of my wires, coming from the wiper motor, and that to make each one work  i need to earth that individual wire, (like a coil on a relay) but i am struggling to see how i can get this to work with the savage switch,

now the wipers do work when they are connected to the original mazda switch gear.

any help would be appreciated as i am getting a little frustrated now  :bangshead:

Rick,

i'm not familar with the wiring connections on the Savage switches, but the blue wire doesn't feed all the park and speeds in quite the way you've described.

If you connect the Blue wire to Blue/white the wipers should operate at the slow speed.

Blue to Blue/red will operate at the fast speed

and connecting Blue/yellow to Blue/white operates the park function

The earth is made through the black wire on the wiper motor so earthing each idividual wire probably wont work in the way you'd hope.

This diagram may help explain better how the wiper motor and mazda  switches operate.

mx5wiper.jpg

sorry Mark i meant the trilogy black rocker switch, the same as what you have in yours currently, thank you for the diagram i shall have a look and see what i can figure out, many thanks, shall report back soon

sorry Mark i meant the trilogy black rocker switch, the same as what you have in yours currently

?????? Strange, in that case It should work ok as in my guide ???

Pin 1 - Blue/Red

Pin 2 - Blue

Pin 4 - Blue/White

Pin 5 - Blue/Yellow

In the off position pins 4&5 are connected to park the wipers

With the switch in the first on pins 2&4 are connected for the first speed

In the second switch position pins 1&4 should be connected for the higher speed

As it works ok with the mazda switches my first thought is to check the rocker switch is functioning ok.  You could test this by disconnecting the plug from the back and putting a link wire between the blue wire and blue/white wires which should then operate the wipers at slow speed.

:bangshead: Problem solved!

turns out when i had done the first part of the wiring much earlier on in the build, as per the instruction manual telling you how to graft the new loom into the existing mazda wiring, Westfield have made a printing error in the table telling you what to link up with what!

It must not have twigged at the time of doing it, the manual says to do this........

Wipers.jpg

spot the mistake!!

but it was the fact that every thing worked ok when i tested it with the original mazda switch which really threw me, once i saw your diagram every thing then made sense!

Cheers for the help Mark. always appreciated!

Result, I'm glad it's sorted.

HTH :t-up: Mark

• 5 years later...

Hey guys could you upload the correct picture as I can see it anymore. I am having the same problem

all the pics are still working for me