Old people still working

Norman Verona

Item on BBC Breakfast this morning about people over retirement age still working.

Then someone said that this didn't help the youngsters get a job when they left school.

I explained to HM the difference.

18 year old in, say, B&Q. He's leaning against the racks chewing gum. You ask him a question and he mumbles "dunno".

66 year old is walking around and asks you if you need any help. He's smiling, alert and nothing is too much trouble. He knows his subject and offers good advice.

Which would you employ?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexander72

• Norman Verona

• iain m

• martyblues

Item on BBC Breakfast this morning about people over retirement age still working.

Then someone said that this didn't help the youngsters get a job when they left school.

I explained to HM the difference.

18 year old in, say, B&Q. He's leaning against the racks chewing gum. You ask him a question and he mumbles "dunno".

66 year old is walking around and asks you if you need any help. He's smiling, alert and nothing is too much trouble. He knows his subject and offers good advice.

Which would you employ?

if possible both! the old guy to tell me what to do and then the young guy to hump the paving slabs out to the car. hopefully the young guy (or girl)  will pick up the info along the way

I have two drivers who work for me that are over 70. They are without doubt good at the job and an asset to the company. I also have young guy's equal to them in all way's. What there seems to be is a large portion of younger people who have no work ethic and feel they should be on £30k for doing warehouse work. especially in London where they see too many who have made fortunes by dealing drugs or robbing as role models.

There are good and bad in all ages.

I'd bet the 66 year old would be more willing to carry your goods to the car.  :)

I'm not saying all the youngsters are like that. We employed a school leaver on a work experience scheme and he's now a fully paid member of staff. He's nice, respectful, willing and works hard. However, I think we were lucky to get him.

Good comment Jeff,

you can work with young people who show initiative and enthusiasm and a willingness to learn, but a lot of people expect the country to provide for them with minimal effort on their part.

National service anyone ?

Wednesday is Diamond 10% off at B&Q, I recently spoke to one of their younger employees about how busy Wednesdays are, yes he said this is the best working day of the week, it's busy with sensible, non time wasting, big item customers, and most of all they are extremely polite. They all work 7 day shift system and everyone is trying to include a Wednesday.

Most of my staff are under 25 and many are under 19.  All play rugby or have worked on farms, been in the Army, most are dislexic (like me) but they are nice blokes....  and grafters.  

Have had some that couldnt pick a saw up or lift there own body weight - didnt last long.

I also employ 70 year olds (2) as look outs in rough area's..... 

:t-up:

Don't you just love it when 'they' say "Oh, I blame the old folk for the state of employment in this country!" Nothing to do with the fact that the Government rather throw a atrocious amount of taxpayers money at overseas ventures, rather than injecting it into supporting our home grown economy!

I'd like to think of it as 'there will be some people of retirement age who prefer to work on to keep active etc and all power to them, but equally there will be many pensioners who HAVE to work to make ends meet!' I'd hate to think what's around the corner for me in my retirement, potentially HAVING to work into my 70s!

I worked for Sainsbury's for 5 years as a student and recognise the stereotype in some. Others just lack the experience to know how to deal with people. The older folk on the other hand (ill stress this was 95% women) tended to be inflexible, overly demanding and set in their ways as often as they could be personable and use their experience.

When I started work I kept my mouth shut and ears open. I learnt how to deal with people, how to be helpful, how to get people to do as you wanted.

My experience is that a lot, not all, school leavers act like they know everything and have no intention of learning anything. They don't understand what work is all about.

Just from personal experience but as I said above they're not all like that.

I also know some really grumpy old codgers. I see one every morning in my bathroom mirror.

When I started work I kept my mouth shut and ears open. I learnt how to deal with people, how to be helpful, how to get people to do as you wanted.

My experience is that a lot, not all, school leavers act like they know everything and have no intention of learning anything. They don't understand what work is all about.

Just from personal experience but as I said above they're not all like that.

I also know some really grumpy old codgers. I see one every morning in my bathroom mirror.

When I started work, it was much the same, learn from the people that know what they are doing. Deal with all the carp jobs nobody wanted to do, whilst  remaining polite and respectful.

Move on 25 years, and before leaving my previous employer Xmas 2012, I had the whole workforce, including many time served people older than me, coming to me for advice, how to, what would you do, all sorts of questions.

You have to learn the game, then teach and support others be it older or younger - that how it works isn't it?

As a fit and healthy almost 70 year old I retired 2 years ago and not because I wanted to. It took me a year to get around the working time set and now I really do not know how I had the time to go to work for 52 years.  At 68, the age my children will have to work till I found it impossible to find any sort of work full or part time ( glad of this now) so how will youngsters fare with the extended retirement age???.