Old people still working

Norman Verona

Yesterday my daughter asked why I didn't do something useful with my time.

She suggested that I go to the senior centre to hang out with the

guys. I did this and when I got home last night I told her that I had joined a parachute club.

She said "Are you nuts? You're almost 80 years old and you're going to start

jumping out of airplanes "?

I proudly showed her my membership card.

She said, "For heaven's sake, where are your glasses! This is a membership to a

Prostitute Club, not a Parachute Club!"

I'm in trouble again and don't know what to do! - I signed up for five

jumps a week!

Life as a Senior Citizen is not easy.

where do I sign up :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexander72

• Norman Verona

• iain m

• martyblues

I'm over my time at BT but carry on working as normal, still climb poles with no trouble and just as productive as the younger ones.   Love the job really but not the company.  My youngest daughter is 21 has a job with a fire extinguisher company, does some office work, all the workshop servicing, serves the drop in customers and receptionist type duties,  gives out the on site work to 6 engineers and makes the tea all for £90 a week as an apprentice.   She likes being busy and loves working as a big fish in a small pond. The company boss  is most impressed with her the past year and will be giving her a permanent salaried job next month.  I'm proud of her and other youngsters that give their all to a job, sadly we only hear in the media about the ones that don't want to work too hard or have any commitment,   there are plenty that do. 

Absolutely, our engineer is in his late twenties now, but used to putting in extra hours to see a project through ahead of time. I'ved had to remind him on a couple of occasions when he's been offering to work additional hours/weekends that he's got a young family now and he needs to give them some time too.

conversely, one of the "worst" employees we've had in some ways, was the oldest. To set in his ways to adapt and would be moody for days if asked to do anything differently. (He'd take it as a personal sleight) 

But that was just those two individuals. 

cant beat a bit of pole work Soot1e!!!  

Good on your daughter.  :yes:

Yep, my feet do ache if i'm up there too long though, luckily i'm only up there for a few mins. at a time.

heheheh - yep Mart, it was actually 2 years ago and it must have been the one day of summer.  It was a good sized black pine we took down in N'pton.  We blocked the top off so there was about 30 foot more on top of the pole i was sectioning down.  :)

Cheers Mart,  days like that are good, days like today are rubbish..... too cold and new flywheel on chipper £££££££££££   :(

I finished full-time at 58 and signed on as a part-time consultant. I reckon I do as much free consultancy with the young guy who took over my seat as paid. But he appreciates the help, the clients gain and I don't mind.

And then I can go to B&Q on Wednesdays........

I finished full time work at 56  :oops: now work very ocasionally for my Brother who's an electrician :) .

Worked for BT for 29 1/2 years ??? . Must be honest I don't think I could go back to working full time again, just love tinkering around in the garage etc :t-up:

Not enough hours in the day :p  

i dont want to work past 50 other than an odd job to keep me busy