Updating The Mazda SDV Build Manual

Mark (smokey mow)

Certainly with my car 25mm might be pushing it. That's not much less than how far the VVT solenoid sticks out the top of the engine and that doesn't fit under the FW bonnet, nor the standard I don't think.

Certainly with my car 25mm might be pushing it. That's not much less than how far the VVT solenoid sticks out the top of the engine and that doesn't fit under the FW bonnet, nor the standard I don't think.

Correct, Dom.  There is one Mazda SDV with the VVT engine I've seen with (IIRC) a standard bonnet.  Just has a little wire mesh cap which is quite unobtrusive.  However, remembering my chat with him, the issues were much more than the height of the engine.  Lots of electrical issues and the like which weren't easy to solve...at least they would have baffled me!

Hi, for what it worth I'm using the mx5 mk2.5  vvt1.8 from a 2003 car,

so you will have to use the following from the donor; the matching ecu, immobiliser, ignition lock /key , instrument cluster.

I have had great fun ... not.... playing with the electrics

standard engine loom to fit the engine ; stripping the loom to relocate the pre cat o2 sensor, maf and air temp then re-wrap

kept the immobiliser, ignition key and lock as it has the transponder for the immobiliser you also need to use the dash loom, cos the wiring from the ecu goes through the instrument cluster :) so then you need to strip that loom and remove everything you don't need ... but be carefull the engine wont start without the instrument cluster plugged into the loom, so cut check, cut check etc.

Good luck but remember mk2.5 1.8 = 140 hp to start with ;) ;)

Bob

I am building my car using a 1.6  MK2 donor and I'm about half way through. Here are the differences that I've encountered so far which aren't major problems:

Exhaust Manifold - the MK2 exhaust manifold doesn't come out at the correct angle to line up with the exhaust pipe. Solution is to use a MK1 manifold or go for the Westfield 4 in 1 manifold which is the best solution.

Silencer - as its a MK2 you will need the cat silencer to meet the SVA emissions.

Imobiliser - if you stick with the Mazda ECU the MK2 is fitted with an imobiliser which you will need to retain. If you go for an alternative ECU you can get rid of it but then you create a more difficult wiring task depending on your ability. Likewise with the instrument pod if you go for different instruments you have more wiring challenges with the Mazda loom.

Steering Wheel - You can't put the car through SVA with the MK2 steering wheel as it is an airbag wheel so you have to buy/borrow a MK1 wheel or go aftermarket SVA friendly one.

One of the members Westie66 has built a car using a 1.8VVT MK2.5 donor and he has a build website www.markswesty.weebly.com which has a section "Using a MK2.5" and details his experience. The VVT engine is taller and he put a bulge in the bonnet to allow for it and he also reduced the sump!

I am currently in the middle of the wiring on my car and I am using the Mazda loom and ECU so I don't expect too many issues.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi, for what it worth I'm using the mx5 mk2.5  vvt1.8 from a 2003 car,

so you will have to use the following from the donor; the matching ecu, immobiliser, ignition lock /key , instrument cluster.

I have had great fun ... not.... playing with the electrics

standard engine loom to fit the engine ; stripping the loom to relocate the pre cat o2 sensor, maf and air temp then re-wrap

kept the immobiliser, ignition key and lock as it has the transponder for the immobiliser you also need to use the dash loom, cos the wiring from the ecu goes through the instrument cluster :) so then you need to strip that loom and remove everything you don't need ... but be carefull the engine wont start without the instrument cluster plugged into the loom, so cut check, cut check etc.

Good luck but remember mk2.5 1.8 = 140 hp to start with ;) ;)

Almost correct, you have more than you think ;)

Mk 2 - 1.8 engine is 140 bhp

Mk 2.5 - 1.8 engine is 146 bhp

:t-up:

Or more if you stick a set of motorbike throttle bodies on it. Rumour has it someone around here has a kit going spare... :d

haha thanks for that,  I have an eaton m45 supercharger, reduced pulley and intercooler  on it, just to be different :)

no idea what she will be making once finished but she sure sounds sweet :)

• Like 1

Woohoo another forced induction Mazda SDV :d

Sounds like it needs a build thread:)

Right before everyone gets too excited , Its a Haynes roadster that its in, not a westy I'm afraid  :)

but more than happy to share build details , pictures etc. its been a steep learning curve at times through the build and more to come I'm sure.

Don't see why not, even if it's just the supercharging bit :yes:

ok so wrote a bit about how I put a eaton m45 onto the mk2.5  1.8 mx5 engine its in the start line section

Regards Gary

• 3 years later...

One more to add to the list.  Due to the brakes being upside down on the rear when compared to the original mazda installation, the can't be bled the "old school" way as the bleed nipple is no longer the highest point on the caliper.  You need to take the caliper off the carrier and rotate it to bring the nipple to the top. When you do that, remember to put something for the piston to react against if you don't want to be covered in brake fluid. Guess how I know that! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndrewOBW said:

One more to add to the list.  Due to the brakes being upside down on the rear when compared to the original mazda installation, the can't be bled the "old school" way as the bleed nipple is no longer the highest point on the caliper.  You need to take the caliper off the carrier and rotate it to bring the nipple to the top. When you do that, remember to put something for the piston to react against if you don't want to be covered in brake fluid. Guess how I know that! 

I hate to be the one to say it but you've fitted them upside down. You need to fit the left caliper on the right hand side and he right on the left for the rears.

12 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

I hate to be the one to say it but you've fitted them upside down. You need to fit the left caliper on the right hand side and he right on the left for the rears.

Hah, great... Well, there's a new update for the build manual. Just had a look and there's no mention of it in there. 

Now I need to decide whether to leave that alone or get myself covered in brake fluid again. I was a bit worried about the handbrake cable routing as it rubs against the fuel tank. I've just got foam fitted there for now. I guess swapping those around would resolve that issue too. 

8 hours ago, AndrewOBW said:

Hah, great... Well, there's a new update for the build manual. Just had a look and there's no mention of it in there. 

image.png.507c62f076f2428605cb2870c6c2282c.png