Woe Is Me - We'll All Be Nicked Now!

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

just another revenue generator for our nanny state. i dont see how these will do anything more than line the pockets of the govt and insurance companies. it wont stop bad driving just catch more poeple who normally drive safe and sensibly and happen to stray over the limit a little bit at some point of their journey.

mind you if their overall aim is to remove cars from the road liverpool will rapidly become a bike friendly city as no one here drives at the speed limit. taxis/busses/police/people/amulances the lot seem to speed along all the time. even a guy on a push bike was keeping up with trafic the other day!

they would improve the safety of the roads i drive on just by repairing them

Siemans are offering finance to local authorities to install these. Seems to me a conflict of interest. I wouldn't mind so much if speed limits were appropriate and thses were installed around a town, but guess where these will go? Of course they will be on country roads where they will be able to cheaply catch people using good roads in sports cars or bikes. It is amazing that when the goverment allowed money from fines to be kept by the speedcamera partnerships, that these organisations grew and grew. When the money stopped, the partnership started the speed awarness courses which meant they could again keep the money so they became self financing and profitable once again. So more cameras equals more awarness courses means bigger empires.

As dombanks says. fix the roads, engineer accident spots out, better driving instruction with motorway and night driving elements, regular health checks. We still have more accidents where drink is a cause than we should and now drugs and yet Trafpol numbers are down as they rely on cameras.

For me the telling phrase in the article was 'they make a more convincing business case for local authorities'.

Once they realise that a local authority (or a hospital for that matter) is not a business but a public service, we will begin to get proper government.

Another reason to stay in France.

Really? I recall the golden age of going to le mans. This always involved maxing the motor and while this isn't particularly relevant in a westy, others in my group would be able to see big speeds. Over the last 5 years this has changed completely. Even cruising at a ton is risky now. We've stopped going.

On the plus side it does make a Seven-type vehicle more relevant than ever because you can still have fun at moderate speeds.

Ben

Ben, the point is that the French cameras are well signed, exactly where the sign says and highly visible.

The speeding policy tightened up when they realised the revenue to be had from fines. Of course it was really to reduce the terrible death toll on French roads. If you've been here you'll know just how good the driving is and why they have one of the highest death tolls in Europe.

We have once set of a speed camera in Cornwall with the heicopter, we may have been low at the time.

its a real shame we never got to see the photos

Now that would have been a cool photo! Bet it's on someone's office wall somewhere though!

Quite ironic is the fact they use revenue from speeding drivers to fund speed cameras that make even more revenue to fund even more cameras :oops:

As a business model it must be near perfect :)

Wonder what would happen to the business if everyonel drove around at > 30MPH for 3 months or so :suspect:

Quite ironic is the fact they use revenue from speeding drivers to fund speed cameras that make even more revenue to fund even more cameras :oops:

As a business model it must be near perfect :)

Wonder what would happen to the business if everyonel drove around at > 30MPH for 3 months or so :suspect:

Reduce the speed limit to 20mph and then catch everyone for exceeding the speed limit by a whooping 50% !!!

Reduce the speed limit to 20mph and then catch everyone for exceeding the speed limit by a whooping 50% !!!

the seem to be doing just that in warrington, the radio is making a big deal about 20mph limits in certain places. either that or speed bumps. i use **** loads of fuel going over speed bumps in the z4 and probably make the road more dangerous as im fed up of bashing the font bumper so go really slow, at least once/twice a week people just overtake (often taxis)

a combo of these cameras and amber light camera would remove most of the drivers in liverpool within 3 months i recon.

Funny how they go on about how many die on the roads each year as a result of so called speed deaths, and using this excuse to justify the use of so many cameras

More people die in this country waiting for hospital treatment for strokes and heart attacks etc than those killed on the roads, but as this costs money as opposed to making it they dont matter as much.

It's just an excuse to make money and spy on the public.

Cameras do have their uses if sited at the right place etc but most are purely for revenue.

We are to be priced and fined off the roads, road charging is coming soon, so that plus the new cameras is going to put a lot of people onto the buses.

When they have succeeded we will all be riding our pushbikes down the motorways instead :down::laugh: