Buying A Car Without A Mot

mi7rennie

Needing some advise here guys and gals... I'm thinking of taking a drive down to Keswick to buy an old Honda CR-V (1998)

It looks clean and the seller seems ok, but it doesn't have an MOT due to an ABS sensor fault.

If I have the car booked into a local garage near me would I be legal to pick up the car and drive it the 200 miles home as long as I was insured and taxed?

Cheers,

Mike

That's probably pushing the boundaries of the law too far. You can take it to and from a garage for a pre-booked MOT but you would be better to either use trade plates, better still to use a trailer.

As above. I think you're chancing your arm quite a bit. If I were a plod and you told me you were driving to an MOT 150-200 miles away, I doubt my response would be "on your way, then".

If you go on the yougov website and have an old mot cert number or chassis number you can see the history of mots and tge reasonfor any failures or advisories.

--- Not suggesting this is what you should do, because its a crappy thing to do to the garages ----

but theoretically, you could book an array of MOTs along your route and cancel them as you go..

(I'd recommend a trailer though)

Honestly don't think it would be a problem.. The circumstances, although stretching boundaries, are quite honourable.

You guys are like the devil and angel on my shoulders... although as the young pretender says the intent is not to break the law.

I'm looking into getting a shot of a trailer.

I don't think the car has fail it's MOT just lapsed, which may suggest it's not worth MOTing... very hard to know with distance buying!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m43.l1123/7?euid=6250ace9c8d648e2975f2f3dabdae0fc&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D221105853207%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AGB%3A1123

What do you reckon?

Dunno really, could be spot on. BUT it's definately worth ckecking it out as Pistol recommended. It's free and is a really good record of a car's history.

I was really surprised when I checked my own cars out, obviously I knew it all BUT if I'd been a potential purchaser it would have flagged up what to look for straight away.

Haha yeah, that sounds like a maniac wielding a big brush with tar on it....

That's probably pushing the boundaries of the law too far. You can take it to and from a garage for a pre-booked MOT but you would be better to either use trade plates, better still to use a trailer.

trade plates wont cover you for no mot or insurance just no road tax. trailer is prob the only legal option. :t-up:

Wot he said.

There's every chance you could drive it all the way back with no issue, but these days with so many ANPR systems around, (I've stopped at two petrol stations in the last fortnight that had signs up advising of Police linked ANPR), let alone actual Police vehicles there's more chance than there perhaps used to be of getting pulled.

You could buy it, breakdown, and get your friendly motoring organisation to tow it to your home, :yes: :yes: :yes: I cannot believeI such a devious plan was my idea, I must have overheard that someone else had done it :t-up: :t-up: :t-up:

That's a terrible thing to suggest!

/makes note for future use :d