Ot - Which Tin Top

Simeon

I know this is a very subjective choice but I'm looking to replace 2006 A4 s-line tin top. The reason I'm changing is because I do 600 mile a week and the bucket seats kill my back.

I'm looking at either a BMW 530D, Audi A6 3 liter diesel non s-line or some kind of Merc.

Looking at something either 1 to 2 years old.

Does anyone have any good/bad points about either of them? Which would you recommend?

BMW 530d is great as is 330d tourer

Merc C220???

Mmm, not as nice the Beemer. I'm looking more for an estate and the E Class which is it's equivalent doesn't get as good a write up as the 530 tourer

If you have a merc you lose the ability to drive on a motorway as the things seem to get stuck in the outside lane and the mirrors fail

I do 600 mile a week and the bucket seats kill my back.

As you say it's very subjective.

I have an old (2204) A6 and drive from here to Sheffield overnight which is 600 miles without a break, other than getting on the next shuttle.

If I was you I'd book test drives at your local dealers to decide which is best for you.

Just take route 1 and get the Beemer

I do 600 miles a week in my Westfield! Get some better seats!

95857e46.jpg

Birmingham city centre, 10pm, way home from work!

Yes it's snowing.

• Like 2

A 'Sport' specification BMW will do your back the world of good..............................not. The car maybe the best option for you but it all depends on the spec. Runflats and Sports suspension on 18" or 19" will ruin your life.

I started off looking for something totally different - see here

http://forum.wscc.co...help-me-select/

and ended up buying a 530d - very impressed after owning it for a few months now - on my short 8 mile commute I get 36ish mpg if I take it fairly steady (but will quickly drop to low 30's if driven with a bit of gusto) and on a run to London yesterday (inc lots of traffic) I got 43.5mpg

I tried the other options (Jag and Audi) but for me the beemer was in a different league

See here

http://forum.wscc.co...a-reckon-peeps/

A pointers spec wise - the professional sat nav with the big screen is very good and well worth it if you can find one -

Mine has flappy paddles as an option for gear changing - seriously do not pay extra for a car for this - really not worth it

Mine has large (not sure if 18 or 19 inch wheels) - slightly spoils the cars ride and gets very jiggly/noisy over pot holes - I would quite happily swap my wheels for higher profile option

My car also has the normal/sport mode for the suspension - again not worth paying extra for this IMO

Hope this helps

Not necessarily, I'm on my third M Sport five series touring now, all on 18" run flats, (not tyres I'm a fan of) but the cars compliance has been outstanding, particularly the later versions that have had the three mode suspension settings. But even in sport I don't find issues with my back/neck injury. (My old Audi A4 Sport would have crippled me further in a few miles, I know just what you mean about the Audi buckets BTW).

Not to say you don't get some patter and the odd crash from the run flats, but personally I don't find it an issue.

EtA on mine the Eco/comfort/sport mode control affects far more than just suspension, also alters steering, engine and gearbox maps. Eco mode is excellent when just tootling round, even reduces the power of the tubo diesel and runs it on a more conservative Eco map :blush: flick it in to sport mode though and you'll feel the extra power cut in as well as the whole car sharpen up.

Edited by Gadgetman

thought about a Jag XF? the couple ive been in seemed really nice

Yes, I'd completeley forgotten about that beautiful little puppy.

Have visited the Jag dealer and a new 3 litre V6 diesel is on my shopping list. :) :) :)

must admit I tried the 2 litre version of the Jag - was quite impressed although the gearbox wasn't great

Interior was not of the quality of the audi or Beemer - car also a bit long in the tooth now especially the technology inside

defo worth a look though

do you still live local to Peterborough or am I getting confused :blush:

Yes, I'd completeley forgotten about that beautiful little puppy.

Have visited the Jag dealer and a new 3 litre V6 diesel is on my shopping list. :) :) :)

i had a go in the 3l diesel and thought it was brill (allbeit a bit of a short ride) also had a longer go in the petrol version. thought the ride and comfort was great. i had a better run in the petrol and had a proper play with the flappy jobbies on the gearbox and found it very entertaining. the diesel was better than the petrol. my two drives were quite short but i was quite impressed with them and thought it was a bit different to the usual germans. i was also very impressed with the light blue colour with the ivory leather it felt very fresh and airy to me over the darker A6 i had just been in.

dunno about it being long in tooth so take others advice on that. i would definately try to comapre it back to back with the others you like and make your own decission.