Getting 200Bhp From A 2.0L Zetec?

Mat H

Hi,

I had a standard 2.0l black top zetec on jenvy 40mm bodies and standard Westifeld exhaust manifold. I've then recently bought the Raceline RL200 upgrade package, which includes some head work, new cams and springs. their website claims this will easily give 200bhp, increasing power by 40bhp. However, after about 5 hours on the rollers, it is only putting out 190bhp!

I am very frustrated as this is only 22bhp more than it was before the upgrade. Anyone else had any 'problems' with this upgrade or hints and tips for getting the extra 10 out??

cheers

Hi Mat you should be getting more than 190bhp, I would suspect it is the exhaust manifold/system which is holding it back.

My 1.8 Black top on Weber 45's with highlift cams and a Raceline/Simpson exhaust system pushes a very healthy 180+bhp.

The Westfield exhaust is very limiting above around 175hp.

Here's a quote from the Dunnell website.

"4:1 primary exhaust system designed for use with Dunnell Zetec engines in the Westfield type Wide Body vehicle. This system allows the full potential of our engines to be exploited. It is heavily recommended for power outputs exceeding 185 bhp"

I fitted one to my standard 2.0 on TB's and found 7 bhp immediately with the potential to go a lot further.

The Westfield exhaust is very limiting above around 175hp.

Yeah, that ^^^ stick something decent on (Simpson/Raceline etc) and you'll almost certainly get the 200bhp....

i did the same upgrade and got 22.25 bhp more

(RL 200 CAMS & HEADWORK AND FULL EXHAUST)

i should have read the full details on racelines website first & then i would not have bothered

raceline say they got 201bhp but on a dyno (not rolling road)

and with no ancilleries, at i think it was 7200rpm.....

i gave up sold the engine ,

bought a sorted silvertop from a wscc member

and got 208 bhp against the old engines 174.25

Simpson 4:2:1 is the way to go. They give about the same peek power as a good 4:1 manifold at this level of tune but a much bigger jump in mid range.

Great, thanks everyone, looks like the exhaust it is then, and another re-map! Will investigate the Simpson system as never come across them yet. Was thinking Raceline but I feel I've been a little misled by them unfortunately and don't feel like spending a load more cash with them.

I'll have to get over it!

I run a dunnell which did exactly what it said it would do if that helps? This has a 2.5" bore pipe to fit a silencer to. the standard westfield one will usually not fit a better flowing system without a step pipe and then the problem would be the silencer.

I also run this with a techcraft can. which also gave me a reliable 96-98db at Speed Series events.

Give simpson a ring whilst sat down... there work is very good... but not cheap

HTH

ah, rob have you got a new motor then ?

and POWERSPEED in ashford kent TN24 8DR are worth a look

:) working on it graham...

still chasing last few bits...

Thanks, have droped Simpson a line waiting to hear back, sounds like I need to speak to my bank manager now! I was toying between Raceline and Dunnell before I committed...

Car is wide bodied, 2003 built by factory.

zetec's are a bit critical on cam timing too , worth checking on the rollers if it wasnt done 1st time round

Thanks, have droped Simpson a line waiting to hear back, sounds like I need to speak to my bank manager now! I was toying between Raceline and Dunnell before I committed...

if it's Simpsons, your Mortgage broker might be the one to speak to! (Seriously though, I had mine a few years ago now in the first of the bulk buys, superb quality and a good performance boost, still really, really please with the "truck exhaust" - they make some whoppers)

I emailed them the other day to see if they had any more offers avail for wscc members but not had any reply yet.

let us know how you get on