Workshop Gloves What Do You Use?

wacomuk

nitrile gloves should be considered a consumable and if your using a generic glove that people are referring to as NHS then you should expect them to tear. These gloves are little more than a barrier. Their resistance to chemicals are limited and people should note that once on they are degrading. Using a solvent such as acetone will give you <20s protection. Disposable is not really a great description as they are really a line of defence that is limited. Generally speaking nitrile gloves are a little better than a latex glove as latex tend to rip whilst nitrile can cope with nicks here and there.

as an alternative try neoprene gloves, these are less likely to have a reaction as nitrile (and the release agent used in manufacture) can be as bad a latex option.

Right, I looked at some of the alternatives posted, but in the end I bought one size bigger of the same brand (ECP Triple QX) but a size larger.  At £3.27 for a box it is worth giving it another try to ensure that size does matter...

that's pretty cheap Q. but id expect you to go though them again at a similar rate. I would expect a lab worker to be going though gloves at a rate of 5-6 pairs a day easy.

We used to have big drums of Swarfega and barrier cream in the 80s, the barrier cream used to wash off with water so fine on dry trucks but as soon as you got to messing with wet/damp it was a waste of time, no one had gloves back then ... only wool in the winter :p

We got to the bottom of a drum of Swarfega once and found a dead bird ... we decided it had been there from the factory :down:

On 11/01/2017 at 19:25, Quinten said:

Right, I looked at some of the alternatives posted, but in the end I bought one size bigger of the same brand (ECP Triple QX) but a size larger.  At £3.27 for a box it is worth giving it another try to ensure that size does matter...

And I've used them; the large are way too big for my delicate hands :getmecoat: