Workshop Gloves What Do You Use?

wacomuk

I need some gloves to wear when working on our cars what do you recommend? I have used latex ones before, they are ok until they snag on something which with me is about 2 mins after putting them on :(

gloves are for gayers ;)

• Like 2

gloves are for gayers ;)

True...... But the mrs wont let me near her with muck under my nails!!

I always assumed SWMBO's liked a bit of rough.

Swarfega and a scrubbing brush when I get back in.

Car looks good Nathan, is that on the long crendon road with the sign Westfield only?

It depends on what you are doing. Anything involving lots of oil you need Nitrile, the powdered ones make you sweat less. If it just to keep your hands clean then you can get gloves from motor factors which are reuseable and washable that will be okay for most other jobs.

The alternative to gloves is a good quality barrier cream and make sure it is under your nails. Then when done wash with a good hand cleaner, swarfega is an old one which stinks to high heaven and is not that good. Get something like manister which has beads in to scrub clean you hands with a small nail brush for under your nails. Finish off with an after work cream and you will have hands soft enough for any woman

gloves are for gayers ;)

Lol

I too liked to use barrier cream in the old days , which allowed you to easily clean your hands off with a bit of swarfega - is it still available then , would like to get some?

Car looks good Nathan, is that on the long crendon road with the sign Westfield only?

Well spotted Mark. Yes just outside Long Crendon.

Nathan

Liked the ebay link

"condition new" @£4.75

So how much for 2nd hand ones ?

gloves are for gayers ;)

Guys, whilst I'm sure that you're joking, it pays to be aware that there are definite long term health effects caused by prolonged exposure to oils, lubricants and greases! :oops: In my occupation, we used to have, what we called 'smoke eaters' .. .. sadly they're no longer with us!!

Here's an extract from medical guidance:

There are no unusual hazards in using most lubricating oils and greases provided ordinary and reasonable care is taken to keep them off the skin, away from the eyes and to avoid breathing their vapours or mists. In view of the general and increasing concern about the use and handling of all materials, the following information has been compiled to point out potential hazards and precautionary practices that should be followed be prevent any impairment to health.

Medical problems arising from contact with petroleum based lubricants are relatively infrequent and occur chiefly in circumstances where there is an moderate degree of bodily contact, e.g. where oil contaminated clothing is not regularly changed. Oil contaminated clothing should be changed daily. In respect of occasional short-term contact, mineral oils and mineral oil based greases are relatively harmless, being only slight or mild skin irritants and are well tolerated by intact and normal skin. No unusual hazards should be involved in their use provided good hygiene is practiced. However, because lubricants and cutting oils can, especially during service, become contaminated with bacteria, particular care should be taken to prevent those contacting cuts or abrasions. Frequent and prolonged contact with mineral oils way, however, given rise to various forms of skin irritations, and even in rare instances, to more serious conditions such as skin cancer.

The principal problem associated with the handling of lubricating oils is dermatitis resulting from repeated contact with the skin. This is characterised by acne-type lesions mainly on the back of the hands, and on the forearms and thighs where the hair follicles and sweat pores can become infected with the formation of small boils or pimples. For the occasional person who develops an individual sensitivity to lubricating oils, very severe skin reactions may develop requiring special medical attention. In general, however, dermatitis is not a problem if unnecessary contact with the oils is avoided and good personal hygiene and cleanliness are always observed.

It goes on to suggest some simple hygiene practices, such as, wearing gloves and avoiding prolonged contact with the skin, especially if you have cuts or open skin. I do stress however, that for the general occasional exposure, there is no recorded incidents of serious health issues .. I just wanted to clear that up. ;)

When I started we had a pink barrier cream - I acn't remember its name. However it washed off with petrol so probably didn't last for more than an hour.

We use Swarfega to clean up and dipped our hands in the fire bucket of sand. I now have French hand cleaner which has sand in it. It's good insomuch as it get the oil and dirt off and smells OK.

I have never worn gloves and will never wear gloves. Must be like making love with a condom.