Fitting Front Cycle Wings

Mark (smokey mow)

Looks very good!

WF epoxy'd mine in place, came loose, not wanting to drill them I used a stronger adhesive... Same result. I then used a P40 resin. It's held so far, over 20,000 miles.

This looks like a better option as I now need to fit CF CSR style ones and some serious grinding is going to be required!

I followed SM's post last summer and after an initial de-bonding problem I discovered that the carbon fibre effect ABS cycle wings need to be bonded/fibreglassed with epoxy resin not polyester.  I've now done more that 1,800 miles including a track day yesterday and the cycle wings haven't budged a mm.  Many thanks SM, nice to meet you in person at Stoneleigh this year.

Jon

• 1 year later...

I've just recieved some carbon cycle wings. I was planning to fit them using the method as described in the build manual and drill the holes into the carbon (so they can be removed/swapped/replaced etc) I am yet to remove the current ones and check their condition to see if I still plan to do it this way. Any advice? Not worked with carbon fibre before.

At a practical level, the dust is nasty stuff, as are any loose fibres, so a dust mask and gloves if you're going to be cutting/grinding/drilling it.

These days, I'd probably be drill in and bolting them on. But if going the big head route, then I'd use one of the industrial strength two pack adhesives, as supplied by BigHead etc. With a couple of layers of fibre glass matt over the top. (You could use carbon matt if you really wanted), whichever you use, don't forget to use epoxy resin, not the usual polyester that you'd use with regular grp.

Whichever method, once done, I'd apply a nice thick coat of a rubberised underseal to the entire inside of the arch - it helps stop stone impacts on the inside, causing star cracks on the outside, top surface.

I'd also fit nice thick foam/rubber strip to the tops of the wing brackets to take up any gaps and give a little "give" in the mounting. If bolting through the wings, consider using the motorbike type fairing bolts that come with little rubber grommets to hold the wing - just stops vibration cracking the gelcoat around the bolt heads.

If bolting through the wings, consider using the motorbike type fairing bolts that come with little rubber grommets to hold the wing - just stops vibration cracking the gelcoat around the bolt heads.

I've just received my Carbon Aerodynamix cycle wings and think I need to bolt them on to stop them floating off they're so light!

I don't suppose you could link to these bolts you're talking about please? They sound perfect.

When you say bolt, do you mean using the existing cycle wing bolts or something new? But I'd be interested to see there fairing bolts mentioned as well.

I got mine from Pro-Bolt

CS625-10BK countersunk bolts

WAC619-10BK countersunk washers

NYN6-10BK nylocks

37A8B394-249A-4690-8D00-C645A03F53A4_zps

• Like 2

I got mine from Pro-Bolt

CS625-10BK countersunk bolts

WAC619-10BK countersunk washers

NYN6-10BK nylocks

37A8B394-249A-4690-8D00-C645A03F53A4_zps

That's exactly what I was looking at yesterday! Perfect, I will get them ordered, they look fantastic

Cheers!

Well I have been stupped as I can't even undo my old ones! The 2 rear bolts are easy enough but the 2 fronts on both sides I can't lossen at all.

• 1 year later...

Just fit my new carbon cycle wings on using the big head method, keeps the lines clean, only problem was not the easiest refitting with the angles on the stays.

• 3 years later...

So just a little bit of a thread resurrection!!

I have a set of carbon fibre cycle wings to go on and I have a tube of Sikaflex and some big head fasteners.

Thinking that I will Sikaflex the big head fasteners on initially and then after they have set use more to make a permanent bond to the uprights. 

My thinking is that it is easy enough to take the upright and cycle wing off in their entirety if I need better access and the Sikaflex across a bigger width of the flat portion of upright would be stronger and also give more dampening to vibration.

I am however totally inexperienced and would like the thoughts of more experienced folk before I trash some carbon cycle wings!!

Let me know what I have missed and what you would recommend.

Thanks in advance. :yes:

23 minutes ago, Alfascozzesi said:

So just a little bit of a thread resurrection!!

I have a set of carbon fibre cycle wings to go on and I have a tube of Sikaflex and some big head fasteners.

Thinking that I will Sikaflex the big head fasteners on initially and then after they have set use more to make a permanent bond to the uprights. 

My thinking is that it is easy enough to take the upright and cycle wing off in their entirety if I need better access and the Sikaflex across a bigger width of the flat portion of upright would be stronger and also give more dampening to vibration.

I am however totally inexperienced and would like the thoughts of more experienced folk before I trash some carbon cycle wings!!

Let me know what I have missed and what you would recommend.

Thanks in advance. :yes:

Sounds sensible to me mate, a friend of mine races Caterhams and swears you don’t need anything other than this stuff...

856E8DDE-A9BB-4FBA-A266-38F5A254CC18.thumb.jpeg.cc9ff63fe0012b4528c58c883cfd3771.jpeg

however, like you I’m keen to be able to remove them should the need arise so the idea of a fastener makes sense, I’ll be doing the same.

Top tip - drill holes in the fastener so the adhesive can squeeze through, then dab the ‘worms’ of sealant back with a wet, gloved finger before it hardens to give it a mechanical interface as well as the adhesion (hopefully that makes sense?)