Broke key in disc lock...Help!

Buzz Billsberry

Any suggestions for gettin a broken key out of a ABUS Diskus 26/80

I've tried super gluing the key head back on to the shaft but its not playing. Fortunately the paddlock was resting on bench when I knocked it off :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  adb broke the key :blush:  :sheep:

Any help would be  great. its a £30 lock and I don't want to be throwing it away!

Buzz

Search on google for "Masterlock Shim" and use that idea to make a shim to pop the lock open. Won't get the key out but it'll open the padlock.

To get the key out,

Make a pair of odgers from a couple of paperclips?

Superglue the paperclip onto the end of the key?

Try the wife's eyebrow tweezers?

If you've got even the sligtest blob of superglue between the key and the lock it's in there for good and would cost more than a replacement lock to get a locksmith out.

Plenty of WD40 around the keyhole, and then smack the bottom corner of the lock hard against the edge of a work surface, enough to either the dislodge the key from the lock or shift it sufficiently to get purchase on the key with some long nosed pliers.

What's an 'odger'?

What's an 'odger'?

You know ...  an odger ... for oiking things out of tight spaces

Like that tool on a Swiss army knife for getting stone out of boy scouts' a**es.

try a fine drill in yer dremmell , get a pilot hole in there then screw summat in t' thole what you can use fot pull it art with  :t-up:

The way to do this, and I have done it several times is to put some superglue on a thin piece of shim steel and slide it down the side of the key on one of its flat parts to its sides. Wait for the glue to take and then just pull it out. The secret in this is that the glue gets alot larger surface area to cling to and is also in shear rather than tension.

Works for me!

Westford

• 1 year later...

Hey you could definitely go with a liquid steel glue. Another thing, if that does not work out for you,  go to the nearest locksmith and see what they have to say.