The Rebuild Diary...

devans414

Captain Colonial - I have build manuals 1,2 and 3. Think I might be missing the last 2! I am following it as much as I can, but am trying to get a plan in my head of what I am going to do. Also there are a few things which I have been working on today that are modifications which Dave started (obviously not in the build manual).

I do have some questions for everyone else though as I have been doing some work on the car today.

1. I don't seem to be able to find the brake master cylinder, does anyone know where I can get one from and what sort it is?

2. I had a go at putting th alternator on the engine, either I am being a complete mong or it does not fit with the thing Webber 40s. Am I being a mong, or is there a mod bracket for it?

3. The manual has some basic pictures and descriptions of the pedal box. It's currently in bits in a tin and confusing me quite a lot - can anyone help?

I had a couple more, but they have escaped me now. I am going to upload pictures of what I have done today later on tonight. It's been a brake day and I am moving along nicely!!

Ok, so here are some photos of the work I have completed today - I have been concentrating on the brake system.

1. Overview.

IMG_0057.jpg

2. Brake bias valve - Dave told me that he intended to fit a brake bias valve. Most of the brake pipes are in and there was a gap left for this to fit into. I tried my hand at flaring the pipe ends, which went rather well i think. As this is a after market mod there is no bracket. Therefore I have made one from a piece of steel. The riv nuts are not in properly yet, but will be when I find the tool in my mammoth tool store.Its getting welded on tomorrow night.

IMG_0058.jpg

3. Handbrake - Dave suggested that I lower the front bracket of the handbrake so it does not stick up quite so much. Also the bracket was in the wrong place. I cut the bracket off and have manufactured a new one which sits 2cm lower on metal spacers. It is not shown in the picture, but this is the position the handbrake will be. It is also getting welded on tomorrow. I also got the handbrake cable wired through and attached onto the rear callipers.

IMG_0059.jpg

4. Front brake callipers - They were a bit grubby and as the are on show all the time I decided that they needed painting. I have also ordered some new seals for them, which will hopefully arrive later in the week and I can give them a good service. I think they are a fairly vital bit that you don't want to go wrong!!

IMG_0060.jpg

So this was todays progress. I also did quite a bit of part familiarisation and tinkering with stuff. Not that productive, but does take up a fair bit of time. I keep having good ideas too, which get me sidetracked!! Going to order the master cylinder now because I want to get the brakes completed by next weekend.

I do have some questions for everyone else though as I have been doing some work on the car today.

2. I had a go at putting th alternator on the engine, either I am being a complete mong or it does not fit with the thing Webber 40s. Am I being a mong, or is there a mod bracket for it?

Hi Dan

Your not being a mong mate, as it stands now the alternator won't fit

Iirc It either needs moving to the otherside of the engine or you need a smaller (Denso) type alternator if you want to keep it on the side its on now

Dave has my email address if you need any help on what has and hasn't been done on the engine, Carbs & gearbox :t-up:

Perksy, I am getting a new ECU from SBD. They need to know if the engine is anything over standard spec so they can program the ECU. Has anything extra been done to it other than the Weber 40s?

Hi mate, hope all is still going along swimmingly! If you need any help please give me a call as we discussed. I have spoken to Mark and he has advised me tha the enging internals are standard other than ARP rod bolts. Hope that helps.

Now more pictures of progress please!

P.s. have you seen the advert for the club trackday? If I havent got another car by then, can I book the passenger seat pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaase

Dave,

Cheers for the info, just in the nick of time too. I can now get the ECU programmed to the higher rev limit. The ECU should arrive next week. I am also hoping to get the engine and gearbox in next week and hopefully have it running the week after - video camera at the ready!!

I have not seen the advert, but will have a look and put it in my diary. Consider the passenger seat booked!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have not posted any pictures for a while, but do not fear, I have not been loafing! Progress so far, without any pictures at present...

• Following the work I did with the handbrake and brake bias valve, I have painted the brackets and welds with POR15 and they have been re-assembled.
  • The ECu dramas I had were solved with a hearty purchase from SBD of an nice shiny MBE ECU complete with throttle position sensor for the Weber 40s, which has been fitted.
  • I have labeled up the entire wiring loom and started to lay it onto the car to see where it goes.
  • I ordered a smaller 40A denso style alternator which even though everywhere else were charging an arm and a leg for I managed to find somewhere on fleebay which flogged me it for £40. This fitted fine with a newly manufactured bracket and an adaption of the current arm. I was pretty pleased with the result. Not tested yet though.
  • I have fitted the fuel tank with nicely made aluminium straps.
  • Clutch has been purchased from Burton Power and arrived. I have had it fixed on (but it is now off again)

I had fully intended to put some pictures up this week of the engine and gearbox mounted into the chassis....BUT...I was aligning it all up last night and it would not go together. It turns out that the spigot bearing has completely disintegrated and I had quite a lot of trouble in getting it out. I have now ordered one and hoping it will arrive on Thursday. I am having a full weekend on the car and hopefully if you are lucky I will have lots of good pictures and maybe some video of the engine running by next week (no promises!)

WIsh me luck for nothing else to go wrong!!

Hi Dan,

Have you got a link for one of the alternators?

need one for our 2,0 vaux and also finding steep prices?

will something like this do the job. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A073-5V-Nippon-Denso-Kit-Car-Lightweight-12v-40a-Alternator-/370468884293?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5641aa8f45

Did you buy the barckets or make it? Pics would be great

Plucky,

Glad I can be of some assistance. This link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nippon-Denso-12V-40Amps-Alternator/270928534746?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=017&category=61513&cmd=ViewItem#ht_720wt_1373 is for the alternator that I bought. It came in pretty good time and I think there are still some available.

The one which you showed me had the multi V pulley and this one has the single V. It is a pretty simple operation to change the pulley over from the old one to the new one. You can either use a vice to gently hold the pulley or an air gun will do the job too.

I adapted the current bracket by adding a spacer where it fixes onto the engine and using a longer bolt. I basically made this from a piece of threaded bar and some nuts so it is exactly the right size. The swing arm on top also has a spacer in to allow it all to line up. This therefore required some of it to be shaved from the back to stop it fouling on the cam pulleys. I am going to need to get a different belt to drive it, but there is enough adjustment so I should find one quite easily.

I do not have any pictures at the moment, but I will take some for you tomorrow. Bear in mind that mine is a 1.6 and I am not sure of the differences. Also, I have not tested this and do not know it will work, but it should do!

Dan

Right time for some photos:

Firstly as promised (a little late) but some photos of my work on the alternator.

IMG_0238.jpg

The adaption that I did to the upper bracket. I had to shorten it and round off the end to allow it to fit.

IMG_0239.jpg

This shows the spacer which I put in where the top bracket attaches to the engine, this bracket is usually on the other side of the engine mount.

IMG_0240.jpg

This photo shows the spacer that I put on the bottom bracket. I also manufactured this bolt because the old one was too short.

Onto some of the other things which I have been up to.

One of the pistons from the front brake callipers was totally seized in. I tried all sorts to get it out. In the end I got my metalsmith to weld a large bar across the face of the piston, put the calliper in the vice and encourage it out with brute force. Here is a picture of him grinding bar off the piston.

IMG_0243.jpg

I have also been doing some work on the wiring loom and had it laid out on the floor. I was finding it pretty hard bending over all the time so acquired a board and have mounted it on. I was considering drawing the car on the board and putting all the components on to do the testing. I came to the conclusion that I was going to extreme lengths and would be wasting effort. I have kind of put it on the board how it will go in the car.

IMG_0244.jpg

Most of my attention has been focused on the engine and trying to get it into the car. Having now found most of the things I needed I managed to get the gearbox linked up. Only problem I had was trying to find M7 bolts for the clutch pressure plate, they are like rocking horse poo! I got 2 assembled it together and have a further 4 on order. I am going to have to split it again, but I really weaned to at least get it into the car and the holes drilled for the mounts. Note the first aid box and eyewash in the background - safety fist guys!!!

IMG_0067.jpg

Some might call my engine hoist overkill, but it did the job nicely.

IMG_0068.jpg

A slightly closer view.

IMG_0069.jpg

The mount for the air filter catches in a big way on the chassis. It had to come off to allow the engine to get anywhere near the mount plates. I am going to have to come up with another solution. Apparently you can get little cap things, think I will try this instead.

IMG_0070.jpg

I threw the wheels on and dropped it off the build trolley to see what the clearance was like under the engine - looked fine. I am a little worried about the lowered floor plan and the speed humps around here!

IMG_0071.jpg

I can feel that my build is gathering pace. I do have a very specific issue regarding the Crankshaft sensor - does anyone know anyone who is running the same engine as me for a Westfield?

Hopefully more photos soon.

Don't think your photo links are working Dan

Thanks Doug, I just edited them, they are working now.