spa mirrors

Evo,s 7SE

a lot of people have problems with spa mirror coming loose.to cure this remove mirror and unscrew the allen key that holds mirror in position .put a small piece of rubber about 1/4 inch thick between allen key and ball on mirror. tighten and refit this then solves the problem of the small contact area on the allen bolt to mirror ball with some thing compactable that also stops them vibrating loose.

hope this helps anyone with the same problem i had

i also drilled thro the aero so i can get to tighten them in situ but havent needed to do this yet

I did exactly the same two mods to my SPA mirrors a few weeks ago! :D  :D  :D

Works a treat.  :t-up:

Difference is that, unlike you, I didn't think of/get round to sharing the idea with everyone else!  :down:

Nice share - this is an infuriating niggle that I've had for ages. I resorted to velcroing an allen key to the floor between my legs so I can tighten the mirrors before each journey. Will do the mod this evening and save myself the difference in an allen key and a small piece of rubber in weight.

i never really had that much of a problem with it but didnt fancy taking mirrors off every time they got knocked out of alignment now with the aero drilled they can be done in situ ill still be carrying the allen key just one less chocolate biscuit instead  :D

Took mine off last weekend ,removed the allen grubscrew and balljoint

drilled and tapped the ball joint housing, put it all back together

now a lot more rigid and you can adjust from the drivers seat with a twist of a screwdriver  ;)

Someone on the USA7s.com forum figured out a great fix that also allows you to adjust the mirrors without having to access the allen bolt.  Simply make a sandwich out of two delrin spacers and a Belleville spring washer and then put that assembly between the ball stud and set screw in the mounting base, and then tighten the set screw.  The spring has enough tension to keep the mirror in place, but to adjust it all you need to do is grab the mirror housing and move it.  I did this about 18 months ago and it still works great.

Not sure where to get these parts in the UK, but here is a link to a US source so you can see what I am talking about.  Search for the following part numbers:

Belleville Disc Springs: 9713K17

Delrin Flat Washer: 95647A121

-John

• 7 years later...

I know this is a very old topic, just thought I'd add an update on these poorly designed spa mirrors, it's 2017 now and SPA have made no design changes to cure 'floppy mirror syndrome'. I recently purchased a new one and lacking any rubber of nylon washers, i used the outer insulation of some twin & earth mains cable I'd been installing in the garage, worked a treat. fps cured...