Failed IVA. Collapsible steering column required !

blakeya

Just had a Narrow Body Westfield fail IVA due to not having a collapsible steering column. It is fitted with a Wesfield Approved steering wheel & Boss but this was not sufficient. Does anybody have, or can tell me which column i can use to pass the test?? I'm unsure if the Wide body column will fit the narrow body chassis.

Help much appreciated.

AndyB

From the fail I'm assuming you only have a two piece column?

As an alternative to fitting a collapsible upper column you could replace the lower column with two sections so you can have an offset between the upper column and the input to the rack.  Section 14 of the IVA manual have some diagrams that show it better than I can expain.

Not sure about a narrow body I have a SeiW that failed SVA for same reason my steering column was two piece from west field. Mark at Westfield had to send papers to show design had limited type approval. Try talking to Westfield tech support.

It's a load old balls.

Most Westies use a 2 piece column and hundreds have gone through SVA/IVA with no issues.

As has been stated the two piece column has limited type approval making it SVA/IVA compliant.

Have a chat with Mark Walker at Westfield he'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Chaz.

Yeah mine almost failed but then the examiner called up one of the more experienced people (I was his first IVA as opposed to SVA) and cleared it. He said that at the end of the day, the steering column joint has to be at a slight angle, so that in a collision it will deflect outwards, rather than acting like a spear. It was close but I think he was just getting bored of doing the IVA and wanted to move on to something more exciting.

I am in the progress of building my Westfield and currently thinking of the collapsible steering column. Swedish organization doesn't approve Westfield's collapsible model.

I am searching for suitable collapsible section to be placed between steering rack and upper steering column...and it's really good if it's an iron-model to be able to adjust the length.

Do you have any tip?

Building with a SAAB turbo powered engine... some pics http://picasaweb.google.se/jocke4u/NeoZeven

Best Regards

Joacim