Indicator / Lights / Horn Stalk

FW500

If you're not keen on having a bank of toggle and rocker switches accross your dash, an alternative is to fit a stalk. I'm sure there's a few options available but here is my how-to guide.

I wanted the stalk to look modern and be able to control pretty much all of the standard functions, and if possible also self cancel the indicators.

After a bit of trial and error with some different stalks I finally settled on a stalk from a Mk1 Renault Clio. These seem to go for between £2 and £10 on ebay.

This stalk is short and stumpy so sits in good proportion to a standard Westfield steering wheel, controls the lights, horn and indicators, has standard male terminals on the black that connect to the westfield loom without any modifications, and will self cancel if mounted correctly.

stalk.jpg

I will update the thread later with the terminal identification as I've left my notes elsewhere but as a guide 1 - 6 controls the horn and indicators while 7 - 0 control the headlights.

The bottom of the stalk's body is made of metal so it's easy to make up a bracket to hold it in place:

002510.jpg

I'll update the thread with dimensions later.

By cutting oval mounting holes in the bracket you can fine tune the exact position of the stalk in relation to the steering column which will allow you to get it into the best location for self cancelling.

002520.jpg

A suitably shaped hole will need to be cut into the dash to allow the stalk to protrude, also the body sits a little proud of the dash face so this needs to be cut too - this will be covered later with a matching raised section so that it doesn't look scruffy.

002470.jpg

In close up you can see the self-cancel switch that needs to line up with the lugs on the standard westfield wheel.

002460.jpg

Finally with the wheel in place the stalk should sit around 2in behind the wheel so that it doesn't interfere with your driving.

002480.jpg

Looking good :t-up:

I'm a fan of the 'clean dash' myself too, far neater IMHO. But the one thing with the self cancelling indicators if my experience is anything to go by - if you have a quick rack fitted, chances are you will spend most of your time switching them off manually anyway, as the steering wheel rarely moves enough to engage the cancelling mechanism! :D

If the Renault thing doesn't float your boat, go all retro and fit the stalk out of a BL Mini. Best part is, all the wiring in the BL stalk matches the Westfield loom, mostly...kinda...sorta...

Clio terminals:

1 - Horn Button: Feed to Button (Purple)

3 - Horn Button: Feed to Horn Compressor (Purple / Black)

4 - Indicator Switch: Nearside Lamp (Green / Red)

5 - Indicator Switch: Feed (Light Green / Brown)

6 - Indicator Switch: Offside Lamp (Green / White)

2 - Headlamp Dip Switch: Dip Beam Feed (Blue / Red)

7 - Lamp Switch: Feed to sidelamps (Red)

8 - Lamp Switch: Feed to switch (Brown)

9 - Lamp Switch: Feed to headlamp (Blue)

0 - Headlamp Dip Switch: Feed to mainbeam (Blue / White)

dangler on that Neil  :cool:

I'm looking forward to seeing this in the flesh,  :t-up:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Barry.

A bit of a continuation from the above I thought I'd add a bit about how I've integrated the stalk into the dash and attempt to make it look as 'factory' as possible.

With a piece of MDF I cut out a small raised section for around the stalk and steering wheel area.

002610.jpg

Using some Araldite I glued the raised section into place onto the ply dash.

002620.jpg

The idea is to have the guages sitting neatly inside the cut out pods.

002630.jpg

A little bit of 'shaping' to the raised section makes it look much less angular.

002640.jpg

With the steering wheel in place I can be sure that everything is in the right place and needs no more fine tuning.

002660.jpg

• Like 1

For SVA purposes I need a return edge of (I think) 19mm so I've cut out 2 lengths of MDF to follow the contours of the underside of the dash.

002670.jpg

With the return edge in place I just check that the dash still fits as it should. Happy with it I can now get the whole dash finished.

002680.jpg

I got a mate with a flocking business to set about the dash with his flocking wand (Sorensen Road Sport - 01752 603500) and I'm really pleased with the results.

002840.jpg

The finish is absolutely flawless.

002850.jpg

The dash is put into place and all of the guages and switches plugged in.

002860.jpg

And finally with the wheel on it's done and I can get on with other stuff at long last! I'm so pleased with it I don't think I'll bother with the carbon dash at all so expect a Mickmade carbon dash in the for sale section any time soon.  :laugh:

002870.jpg

I got a mate with a flocking business to set about the dash with his flocking wand (Sorensen Road Sport - 01752 603500) and I'm really pleased with the results.

You (and your mate) have done a flocking impressive job of that - well done! :t-up:  :D  :t-up:  :cool:  :laugh:

You (and your mate) have done a flocking impressive job of that - well done! :t-up:  :D  :t-up:  :cool:  :laugh:

Groan...

:D

:laugh: Thanks Stu. Fortunately his flocking 'bay' is big enough to get the whole car into so I'm getting the bulkhead, tunnel, seat backs, and ali side panels flocked too, but not until after it's SVA'd

Nice Neil...  but HURRY UP!  :p

Nice Neil...  but HURRY UP!  :p

:laugh: I'm going as fast as I can! Just got the proof of engine age back today so SVA forms will be sent out this week - just the exhaust and some bodywork finishing to do now. Had an absolute nightmare with the RAC rollbar this weekend - it took me 2 days to fit the damn thing!

• 5 years later...

Hi FW500,

Great stuff and I am copying your method. My only question is what hits the self cancelling switch? I cannot see any protrusion on my steering column / wheel / boss that will do the job. Any pictures?

Ta

Geofff

Sorry Geoff, FW has long since sold the car and moved on. You might get lucky if anyone else knows the car, or if it's still around. (I don't remember seeing much about it for a few years, but that can be deceiving).

Otherwise, all you can do is search for FW's posts and scan through as many of them as you can, in the hope of picking up the odd clue and nugget of info.