Can I clean my air filter?

Blatman

Yes, you can! Air filters on Westfields usually fall in to two categories. Foam, and "paper". The popular foam filters are made by Pipercross and ITG. The most common "paper" air filters are made by K&N, and are in fact made from cotton.

To clean a foam ITG air filter, follow the instructions here. There are other PDF's containing advice on the ITG web site here. The ITG home page is here.

Cleaning a Pipercross foam filter is probably a very similar process, BUT there are no instructions on the Pipercross web site so you would need to check. I would hope that the Pipercross cleaning kit is supplied with instructions though.

Similarly, the K&N web site is devoid of any clear filter cleaning instructions, although there is some advice in the K&N FAQ's. And again, one would hope that the K&N cleaning kit is supplied with instructions.

Pipercross say :

The cleaning of a Pipercross air filter should be carried out as below. Failure to do this could result in damage to the air filter or even the vehicle.

* Remove excess dirt by gently brushing the filter.

* Apply cleaning additive (C9003 or C9000) liberally. Massage with a soft brush. Allow to soak for 5 minutes.

* Flush the filter out with warm water from the clean side or the foam to the dirty side.

* Allow the filter to dry naturally (do not apply any heat to the filter).

* Lightly apply dirt retention additive (C9007 or C9001) on the dirty (black) side of the foam.

Steps two three and four may need to be repeated until the filter is clean.

Do not over oil the foam as this will cause a lack of performance.

• 6 months later...

My K&N filters look very dirty and I'm going to clean them this weekend. Anyone know how they are supposed to look when they are cleaned, I’ve never done it before so don’t know what to expect. Do they come up white or stay black??

Thanks in advance

DJ

They won't be pearly white like a brand new one but they should be a lot cleaner than before  ;)  :laugh:

Oh, and don't over oil the filter or your engine won't start  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :p  :D

• 7 months later...
Pipercross say :

* Flush the filter out with warm water from the clean side or the foam to the dirty side.

Which side is the dirty side as both sides of mine look similar. Am I supposed to apply the dirt retention additive to the outside of the filter or the inside next to the filter backing plate?

Cheers Stu,

That's what I thought - it just conflicts with instruction supplied.

Regards

Kev.