How's best to fit an RAC roll bar neatly?

Rory's Dad

See p3 of Westfield World (March/April) courtesy of Mark Bailey.

(provided your copy has arrived of course  :D )

I saw a very nice attempt of this at Oulton the other week, I've unfortunately forgotten the guys name now...  :down: (sorry)

However He was kind enough to explain what he had done, basically he had cut away the box then used, plastic tubing to form a neat inner surround to the rear stays and then filled and painted it all.

It did look very nice and neat, although he felt it could be improved?, my mate took a photo with his phone, 'cos after seeing it,  I'm planning on trying something similar, so I'll see if  I can post it up tommorow.   :t-up:  :t-up:

Also Plays Kool do a bootbox, with a smaller 'boot' section which fits between the Stays which also looks very neat.  :)

I think that might have been me  :blush:  :D

(Avatar is getting seriously old now, pre winter so doesn't show RAC bar or black wheels, or, or...)

Mag article really is good  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil: very helpful and neat job done  :D  :D  ;)

Mag article really is good  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil: very helpful and neat job done  :D  :D  ;)

I thank you....  :D  Took me blinkin ages so I'm glad it's of use to people, I actually wrote it for steppenwolf & he suggested it as an article for the mag so you can thank him aswell... :D

If anyone is thinking of doing the same & needs anymore guidance, my number is in the back of the mag btw....

Edited to add: I didn't do Daves (Gadgetman) bootbox btw, he did he himself, the one in the mag is one I did for another of our group, Steve Worrall.

• 7 years later...

Thread resurrection...

I'm doing this soon (no bootlid) and my bootbox is painted so I really dont want to mess it up. Searched for pictures, can anyone show me where to cut for the stays please?

AA Composites? Have a shufty in the traders section; they have a thread or two in there.

Like mush of the bodywork though, I'm afraid there's no magic bullet really when it comes to opening up holes for stuff. There are just too many slight variations in fit to really be able to give standard dimensions. You're much better measuring up and aligning your own set up.

There's a great write up by a member called Steppenwolf on his old site of how to do it well. Here you go, found it.

• Thanks 1

My variation on this (or was it Marks?) was to use a pair of strings and then slide a piece of pvc pipe with the strings threaded through down from above.  Cut where it touches including the bootbox below.  It needed some further attention from the dremel here and there.   I then popped some black rubber edging on the hole to fill in the gaps.  I had a black bootbox which helped the appearance.

Good luck :)

Rory's Dad