What should I look for when buying a helmet

slippy

When I looked for a car helmet I looked in Demond Tweeks online and thought I was viewing most expensive to cheapest as they were £400 plus :( :( :( going well into the thousands???

In the end I bough a budget car helmet like the ones at Playskool for about £150 similar cost to a bike helmet and fire proof lining too :) :)

all of the above are good comments, esp the one - get one that fits comfortably. It really pays to try them on first. Only other thing - try and get one with removable lining as they get smelly and it means you can remove and clean/ replace more easily. Failing this buy yourself a fireproof baclava which are obviously easy to wash and another form of defence from fire.

cheers

I bought a car helmet and the wind just bew straight through It

I used bike helmets as they are designed to go in the wind and rain and dont cost the earth.

I,ve even sprinted with them.

As above, there are two main things to consider... 1. Comfort and 2. Approval.

I have recently waited nearly 8 months just to go to Autosport International Show to try on as many different helmets as I could. It is amazing the differences between brands and even models. I found Demon Tweeks most useful because they have a range of brands which you can try on. Prices start from about £200 I think, I bought one inthe £250-£300 bracket.

You will know when you find the right one for your head shape because it will be like getting into a bed at a 5 star holet vs a travellodge.

I can certainly vouch for the importance of trying helmets on after nearly getting stuck in a V2 Elite at Autosport International on Sunday - I was the one with glowing ears all afternoon after prising it back off!

Ended up buying the V2 Pro which apparently is better for those of us with roundish heads (unlike the Elite which is for narrower heads)..

Having bought a helmet I would advise the next best purchase is a suitable helmet bag to protect your investement from accidental knocks and damage/exposure (and your noggin in the future) :-)

We bin all our work helmets after 24 months owing to UV degradation as we work outside!!!