Can you keep a Westfield outside in the 'open'?

perksy

Don't forget security when it's outside ! I've seen cars chained to the house which seemed a good idea . If you wanted to you could add the car to a zone in the house alarm, looping a wire that when cut made the alarm .

Mine slept outside for at least three years. Under a hamilton cover. First year was ok but then it began to leak a little, so i added a cheap waterproof but not breathable cover from auto5, our halford in belgium, for the long inactive season.

It was ok and never a problem to start first time. I zipped the tonneau cover tôavoid the cats visits and used a pole betwen the windscreen and the rollbar to avoid the pool effect.

Now i have built a wooden garage in my garden and the westie sleeps there.

• 8 months later...

Mine unfortunately lives on the drive too; currently under a Halfords cover which was replaced under warranty because it started to disintegrate in less than 6mths. This one is starting to show signs of wear now too.  Plan to get a decent one this year.  No real problems regarding starting, appears to have stayed dry given the exceptional weather conditions.  The only problems I can see, is as already mentioned, the cover does tend to chaff on the extreme points and any unprotected components ie brake discs, develop a coat of the red oxide! Give it a run periodically through the winter to, which I think helps.

Bring on the summer, warm evenings for some spirited driving and tinkering ;)

So, in answer to the original post, yes you can.

A draughty cover is the probably the best idea, the wind blows away the condensation.   If you spray ACF50 over the suspension parts it will curtail any surface rust, it's a bit like a thicker sticky version of WD40.

There nothing like resurrecting an old topic ;)

I might respond to your comment in approx 8 years time :d;)

A draughty cover is the probably the best idea, the wind blows away the condensation.   If you spray ACF50 over the suspension parts it will curtail any surface rust, it's a bit like a thicker sticky version of WD40.

My cars and bikes live outside 365 and I highly recommend ACF50, been using it for years - as do lots of bikers.

R