Can you keep a Westfield outside in the 'open'?

perksy

If you don't have a Garage to keep your westfield in, can you keep it on the driveway under cover  ???

If so, what would be a good choice of Carcover for it  ???

I’ve kept mine on the drive under a breathable cover for the last 2 years with a split tonneau fitted. The issues I’ve experienced are:

Wind causes the cover to be abraded by ‘high points’ on the car such as roll bar, windscreen and wing mirrors. This can result in holes in the cover and leaking.

Insufficient strapping can cause the covers to slip off in the wind, particular the nose end.

It will be colder and damper than a garaged car so will age quicker and can have problems starting.

Difficult to tinker with as it all has to go back together and be covered up at the end of the day.

Not drilling drainage holes can give you a swimming pool in the foot well.

Some covers melt when they touch a hot silencer.

Under a cover can mean ‘out of sight, out of mind’ and lead to less driving.

Generally a driveway car will need more attention and driving then a garaged car to keep it in the same condition.

mines lived outside under a cover for four years.  the wear and tear has come from 40,000 hard miles, not being kept outside. it is a PITA to work on, and a mate with an empty garage is a huge help.

I also use a Hamilton Classic cover, the car has sat outside covered up for the past three months. The fact that it's fully waterproof and breathable makes all the difference.

Not had any problems, there's a strap at each end to secure the cover.

I don't believe it'd be in any better/worse condition housed in a garage, although it would be nice to have one for working in.

Mine lives outside with just a tonneau and goes under a cover if we go away for the weekend (unless I forget).

My old car had a roof and carpets and lived under a cover and constantly got damp and stinky. Just doesn't happen with the open car now I took out the floor and scuttle carpets and drilled holes in the floors.

Regards,

Mark

Get a proper car cover and it'll be relatively okay. Do not get the Halfords style car covers, they are 100% useless and should only really be used as dust shields (they tend to trap water and make matters worse). It has to be a decent breathable all weather car cover, you'll be looking at £300+ but it will do the job perfectly.

Mine sits outside on the drive covered by a breathable Weathershield cover from Covercraft. I never bother putting the roof/tonneau on as I can't be arsed. Stays completely dry and always starts first time. I now do fasten the supplied plastic coated cable/lock under the car because it blew off once in very strong winds, and I do make sure the silencer has cooled down before I put it one, or put it on and leave it hooked up over the front/rear wheel arches to keep it away from the hot silencer. Cost about £260.

Kev.

Perhaps I should have clarified my original post. It was meant to be a one sided view of the possible issues which I felt someone ought to be aware of before making a decision.

The cover I use cost £100. So it seems a case of you get what you pay for. :)

Perhaps I should have clarified my original post. It was meant to be a one sided view of the possible issues which I felt someone ought to be aware of before making a decision.

The cover I use cost £100. So it seems a case of you get what you pay for. :)

The Hamilton Classic cover is around the £100 mark and keeps my Westfield perfectly dry and is full breathable.

I see no reason to spend any more.  :)

Mine lives mostly outside or at a friends farm and bar a wet ar3e every so often, the biggest problem I have it the size of the cover when I am off somewhere with the car (fills mosts of the boot). I haven't got a tonneau cover and to be honest I think I would rather put the cash towards an L-glass lens........

For le mans I am thinking of getting a ground sheet & some pegs!

I used a Halfords 20 quid cover for a few months outside (4 or 5 continuous), no real probs, had to modify a bit (extra straps) to stop it being blown off in the wind & I drove it a lot to dry it out regularly....

With covers I guess you get what you pay for, I think the Halfords ones are ok as long as you use it a lot, plenty of chance to dry out etc... oh & these one definitely do melt on the manifold! You only have to leave it for about 2 mins though to be safe :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has live under this all winter with no adverse effects...

cover.jpg

...ok, some of the chrome has gone a bit rusty I guess but that's probably through driving it rather than it getting rained on.

Regards,

Mark

• 3 months later...

I use a hamilton classic when it goes on holiday to Eatsalot's place

snug as a bug in the proverbial rug.

that cost £85 but I think they've gone up to £90

Kev

I use a mix of 3 covers depending on how long the car will be covered up for and if the weather predicts a lot of heavy rain.  A cheap £15 cotton dust cover, then a £7 plastic tarp from B&Q on top of that for extra waterproofing and then a Hamilton one over the whole lot.  Spring, summer and autumn i tend to use the cotton and Hamilton one though.  Oh, and i also zip the tonneau over now as i found the local cat community seemed to find the footwells a snug place to bed down for the night  :angry: