"Stick on" front number plates

scott beeland

I got pulled with my bike sized plate on the front and had to change it for a full size or else!!!

Plod advised me to use a stick on plate across the front and I advised him that that such a solution would indeed be contrary to the contraction and use regs....

Probably why he got pi$$ed with me and issued a ticket....

Plod advised me to use a stick on plate across the front and I advised him that that such a solution would indeed be contrary to the contraction and use regs....

Probably why he got pi$$ed with me and issued a ticket....

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Oh dear

I was clocked last month by a talivan camera. I've got a copy of the speeding pictures and the stick on plate is perfectly legible and readable by the camera, albeit the font is about 10% smaller than "legal" size. Nothing has been said by plod this time or the numerous other times I've passed patrol cars.

The plate I got was made by Craigsplates on a reflective white backing, legal font type etc. Although not "legal", it would actually pass the reflectivity tests that standard acrylic plates do. I think the "type" of car helps us here. Whereas plod would probably pull some chav in a hot hatch with a stick on plate, on a 7 type car it doesn't look "wrong"?

This has been debated to death on here before and on numerous forums such as pistonheads.

There is absolutely nothing at all that prohibits stick on number plates and no mention at all for or against in the legislation.

As others have said font type, size and colour reflectivity matter and strictly speaking it should have a BS number on it. It should also be fitted as upright as is practical.

Those that say stick on are illegal are quoting hearsay rather than fact.

David

• 2 weeks later...
All the early MX5s had stick on plates between the pop up lights. As long as its something like the right size lettering I would have thought you'd get away with it,

I have a stick on number plate never had any problems, if i can remember the fact that the letters and numbers 'stick on' rather than permanent make it illegal.  Caravans used to use 'stick on' numbers letters not any more.

As long as the number plate and letters are correct size and the correct reflective back ground i dont think there be will be any real problems.

Trouble is if you fit the number plate down on the front of the nose cone its easlly to get knocked off.

Quote from DVLA website "The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that meet the British Standard requirements"

However I can confirm after my court appearance this morning, that having been caught by the Talivan camera, my self adhesive number plate (no BS mark) is perfectly readable on the nose cone, they had no problem with it and it was never mentioned to me. As the photo of the handsome man below shows, even at an angle on the nose cone, the camera can read it perfectly. As an aside, I thought it was pretty impressive shooting from the Talivan operator, 469metres away he caught me! Give him a sniper rifle and send him to Afghanistan :D

speed2copyMedium.jpg

• Like 1

Good to see they didn't lock you up Dean :p

Good to see they didn't lock you up Dean :p

5 points and £170 Mark. b****y annoying my first speeding conviction for 14 years comes just 3 months after getting the Westy on the road. I'll need to get one of those revolving front number plates ala James Bond :D

As mentioned, this has been done to death before and we are no closer to a definitive answer save for the quote from deanoecossee from the DVLA. Given that we're almost certainly destined to go round in circles with claim and counter claim I think there is no further value in this FAQ entry, so I'm locking it. I can do that, 'cos I is a Moderator for the FAQ :0

If anyone want's it unlocking PM me with a really good readon why! ! !