What wheels do I need?

adhawkins

@Jenko @Andrzej Thanks for your thoughts and advice chaps, greatly appreciated.  Looks as if it'll be 185 / 60 / 13 front and 205 / 60 / 13 rear, with R888R's then. I'm not looking to break any lap records, purely on track for fun and generally improve my driving and certainly don't want to take any risks with over stressing the new toy with slicks.  Dynamics 13" seem to be a very rare thing to come by at the moment,  used or new, so will likely start off with the as fitted 205 R1R's and keep looking, and once fitted will definitely look to have the suspension properly set up..... one step at a time... ! Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rimstock are the the suppliers of TD wheels and still make 13" wheels only in 7" width.

CXR wheels are popular and lightweight with a better colour and size range, worth considering and quite a few suppliers.

Thanks @SootySport Interestingly, I have been looking at various options and think I may well have settled on CXR-1371, as you say, light and I really like the look....and available. Looking to get a couple of days under my belt with the existing setup..... just to get a feel and be able to fully appreciate the difference for myself before swapping over. Just about set to go now, trailer sorted, new jerry cans and low level jack.. etc just need more confidence in the weather.. ! Thanks again.

Got all the gear then 👍.

keep the 15" R1R & wheels for winter on the road and wet trackdays, exactly what have.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TLF said:

Thanks @SootySport Interestingly, I have been looking at various options and think I may well have settled on CXR-1371, as you say, light and I really like the look....and available. Looking to get a couple of days under my belt with the existing setup..... just to get a feel and be able to fully appreciate the difference for myself before swapping over. Just about set to go now, trailer sorted, new jerry cans and low level jack.. etc just need more confidence in the weather.. ! Thanks again.

IMG-20220407-WA0003.jpg.f5ace204284b2da953ff3e9be3fa2f88.jpg

Screenshot_20220408_123523.jpg.5a1ea17747db6641be9e6ebc0e5f15b4.jpg

That's CXR with 185/60/13 front, 205/60/13 rear in case you wonder what they look like on the car

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/03/2022 at 20:13, TLF said:

@Jenko @Andrzej Thanks for your thoughts and advice chaps, greatly appreciated.  Looks as if it'll be 185 / 60 / 13 front and 205 / 60 / 13 rear, with R888R's then. I'm not looking to break any lap records, purely on track for fun and generally improve my driving and certainly don't want to take any risks with over stressing the new toy with slicks.  Dynamics 13" seem to be a very rare thing to come by at the moment,  used or new, so will likely start off with the as fitted 205 R1R's and keep looking, and once fitted will definitely look to have the suspension properly set up..... one step at a time... ! Thanks again.

Evening .... So I've had a run out at Donington on the 15" / R1R's .....thoroughly enjoyed as it was a wet / drying session so the R1R's were fine, ....and have decided to now go with 13" CRX's and R88R's for dry use,  but would be interested to know your thoughts on a couple of points I'm not sure on.

Width wise TOYO give a Rim Range of 5.0 to 6.5 for the front 185's and 5.5 to 7.5 for the rear 205's, so four 6" would be in the range for both front and rear, or would I be better off with 6" front and 7" rear...wondering if there's anything to be gained / lost.... ?   

Also, the current 15" J8.0's have a measured 24mm offset....does it follow I need the same with a smaller width / smaller diameter rim.......thinking calliper / arch clearance...?  As before I'm sure these are basic's for the more experienced members but I'm learning.. !!

I have 4 off 7”x13” CXRs with toyo r888r on. 185 front and 205 rear. All are 23/24 offset (its one or the other - but 1mm won’t matter)

The car handles great - pity i can’t match it!

Thanks for that @Kingster , good to have a real world reference......shame we're not a bit closer, I'd could drop by any try them on..!!  seriously though, greatly appreciate the response. .... i do like the idea of having a matched set of four same rims, but do you think there'd be anything to gain by dropping to 6" on the front.. ?

7" all round for me with 205/60/13 R888Rs.   They work fine for me.

Only reason for 185 section tyres is they warm up quicker for sprint competitions but for us trackday heroes there's not a problem, we're not pro driver's and not timed.

11 hours ago, TLF said:

Thanks for that @Kingster , good to have a real world reference......shame we're not a bit closer, I'd could drop by any try them on..!!  seriously though, greatly appreciate the response. .... i do like the idea of having a matched set of four same rims, but do you think there'd be anything to gain by dropping to 6" on the front.. ?

I also have a set of CXRs 7”x13” and 6”x13” that I use with my wets - same tyre sizes -  there’s not a lot of difference really. 

@TLF if you just want to have fun, get a spare set of 15s and stick a set of PS3s on.  

I and others have killed Duratecs on 888s with Raceline wet sumps. 

3 hours ago, New display name REQUIRED said:

@TLF if you just want to have fun, get a spare set of 15s and stick a set of PS3s on.  

I and others have killed Duratecs on 888s with Raceline wet sumps. 

That's a stark warning... !  appreciated full slicks were asking for trouble, but 888's "killing" Durtatecs is commonplace..?

The perceived wisdom of many would still see 13" being fitted as good move, maybe with something less sticky in that case...  🤔 

Aye, I destroyed an XE’s crank under heavy braking on R888’s (SBD baffled sump).

Ran it dry slumped after that with no more problems. But people do underestimate how much strain hot semi slick tyres can put on the car, when really used hard.

6 hours ago, TLF said:

That's a stark warning... !  appreciated full slicks were asking for trouble, but 888's "killing" Durtatecs is commonplace..?

The perceived wisdom of many would still see 13" being fitted as good move, maybe with something less sticky in that case...  🤔 

I know of 6.

Less grip is way more fun too.