Rally of the Tests 2005

greeny

Just a quick plug for my parents who will be competing in this years 'Rally of the Tests' (car no 46).

The rally starts on Thursday night at Knockhill, Edinburgh going on to Penrith on Friday, Buxton on Saturday and finishing in Stratford-on-Avon on Sunday.

If you have some free time over the weekend then why not go and spectate on one of the Tests? Nothing like the sound of 50s/60s cars being thrashed round together with the smell of Castrol-R! All the competitors have to wear period costumes which can make for interesting viewing as well.

It's worth going just to watch Frank Fennell chuck his Merc 300SE around...awesome skill and massive balls!

More information can be found on the website.

merc300.jpgmini300.jpg

The rally visits Curborough on Sunday afternoon at 13:15....  The weather forecasts not good, but I will try and go to watch.

I might as well plug my boss then............

Car number 45 - the first 911 that was shown at the motor show.

I am going to the bunker & Army camp, and if I can convince the current wife Curborough it is. Though will be in family wagon as the westfield doesn't start when warm!

If you are good at bump starts........... I will take the Westie!!!!!

Joking aside, see you there

At least it's a light car!

I've got jump leads etc anyway, what's up with the car?

Just won't start when warm. Had new dist. cap, coil, starter motor. Waiting for the garage to look at it again (had the car a few weeks, always done this).

Where are you in Cheshire, I am in Market Drayton (previously Audlem)

Ah yes yours is a pinto if I'm correct?

I betcha it wants the timing adjusting.... ;)

I'm in Middlewich at the mo, used to live in Congleton.

Not on my westy as it's a zetec on throttle bodies, but messing with various other cars over the years I've had it happen, should take 10 mins with a 10mm spanner to sort it...

If you go in it on sunday I'll try to have a quick ganders at it.

Simon

I had a chat with your parents this morning, I was doing the timing clock at the finish of Stage 3, just outside Chester. The car was running well and your parents seemed to be enjoying themselves.

The Rally of the Tests is a great event, I've marshalled it for the last 3 years. You're right about those big Mercs look great when they're being thrown around.

Bill

Hi Bill, glad to hear that they managed to find your checkpoint ok!

Apparently my mum forgot to hand in their timing card on the first night until she realised after ten minutes!  :blush:

I don't think my dad was too amused!  :D

Wandered along to Curborough with the two kids. Missed car 46  somehow, but what a great event. Got some photos as well, but again not of car 46 although I think I got some of 45 (white 911).

The competive element of Curborough was not what your used to..... I think the stard was before the paddock down the hill, then to the end of the paddock, back again, then along to the proper start the normal way, then round the circuit, but with a cone very late at the Fradley harpin, and a number to slarlom around on  the straight as well.

Will put in diary for next year for sure.  Spotted 2 x Westfields there spectating but don't know who they were?

I missed it all - spent the day in bed feeling below par - the first clear day with a dry road since I have had the westie..................

If you have got any good shots of number 45 I would appreciate it!

We went to the final stage at the Heritage Motor Museum near Gaydon. They done an Autotest in one of the car parks, which was fun to watch.   :t-up:  :t-up:

The big Merc nearly popped his tyres of their rims with vast amounts of understeer :0  :0  :0

Nice clear afternoon..........if a little cold............and it was free :D  :D

Great to see a lot of interesting cars being thrown around, and would definetely go again next year  :cool:  :cool:

David