Cat c Westfield

si_salisbury

Just because it has been VIC checked, that doesn't mean the repairs have been even looked at or even tested by VOSA. The VIC check only means the reg no and identity plate match up.  Best to by a sound genuine car for that money and there's a few around.

Yep Maurici.   Your absolutely correct.   And it’s an insurance thing.  A label.    In the beginning it was voluntary with the insurance companies.  The guide lines are more strict now.    When mine was written off off the DVLA was not informed so it’s on the insurance database but not recorded on the v5 reg document.  Badly damaged cars given Cat b’s are supposed to be scrapped or just parts recycled.   But again this was only voluntary in the beginning.  Pleanty of cat b’s on the road Legally

53 minutes ago, si_salisbury said:

I’m not sure if it sold, but from what I can see he leaves adds on the site but the details change to “call Andrew “. I don’t like to call him if it’s a hot one to stay away from, I rather get info from you guys and if it is sold I can be aware if something comes up next time.

From what I remember, it had had a bump on the near side front but it seemed to have been repaired well. The rear bodywork has some stickers in front of the boot lid, covering some light cracks. And the engine had a cracked mounting lug, in the offside front area, that had been repaired with what looked like araldite. This may have been fixed now though.  The photo shows where the cracked mount was. 

B73E7BAA-7C16-4A88-997F-8F6C94F15ED4.jpeg

I bought a Cat-D SeiW - it was originally built by a forum member (Dave Matthias) who sold it on to someone that pranged it - took the front nearside corner off. It was then repaired and ended up being bought by the previous owner from ToyBox

previous owner ran it for eight years until I finally managed to prise it off him in April this year

My view is that if there had been a problem with the repair, it would have shown up by now. I know that I'll struggle slightly at resale time and that the price will be lower than a car with no insurance marker, but I paid a great price for it (I reckon less than 75% of the normal price for a similar car), so I'm happy

I know that the camber settings are a bit off, so there may be some residual issues, but I'll get that sorted one day

For now, I'm just trying to stop the cycle wing nuts cutting a groove in the new tyres...

it wouldnt put me off buying a car if it was repaired correctly as maurci says it depends what you wanna do with the car i use my car. to look at it you would think its done a million miles i very rarley clean it and i take it on track more than the road. and andrew at toybox is a reputable seller so i wouldnt be put off from buying from him either

As long as you buy at a price to reflect the CAT C, which most do, then sure, you’ll be selling at a CAT C type price too, but you shouldn’t necessarily loose any more over the duration that you own it, than you would with a regular Westfield, treated the same, over the same time.

However, you may find it takes just that little bit longer to sell, as many potential buyers get, to my mind, needlessly put off by the status. But the right buyers are out there, you just have to be prepared to wait, when the time comes to move it on.

Insurance companies normally devalue a write off by 25% cat C is the worse one to put back on the road as the repairs should cost much more than the value of the car. It is also recorded on the log book that would put a lot of folk off. Personally I wouldn't buy a cat c unless it had a new chassis or knew the person or garage that repaired it. I have seen some really dodgey so called repaired cat cars mainly because I work for a large insurance company.

21 hours ago, Jim G said:

From what I remember, it had had a bump on the near side front but it seemed to have been repaired well. The rear bodywork has some stickers in front of the boot lid, covering some light cracks. And the engine had a cracked mounting lug, in the offside front area, that had been repaired with what looked like araldite. This may have been fixed now though.  The photo shows where the cracked mount was. 

B73E7BAA-7C16-4A88-997F-8F6C94F15ED4.jpeg

To punt a chunk off the engine takes some impact. The chassis rails are quite a way off that area of the car. 

Yes, you can repair it and people do and I dont suspect it to be any more unsafe than a normal car , but I would still have that nag in my head about how and who repaired it. 

Sorry for the delayed response just got off a 11 hour flight and 3 hr drive home.

thank you for your comments, it’s seems to be a mixed bag of feelings. 

Having some to time to read and think about it, i feel I might better of all round hold out and wait for the one to come up instead of rushing into something that I might regret latter.

cheers. :yes:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Nowt to do with me, but this looks pretty special 

I would take that over the other cars mentioned here any day. Very, very nice spec.

16 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Nowt to do with me, but this looks pretty special 

IT is a very nice car and love everything about it, but unfortunately it’s over my budget as I’m stretching it at 14k and unable to go any higher.

That’s the thing, whatever you go for, you have to live with it. It doesn’t matter how good a deal, how great a car, how superb a colour scheme, if there’s something about a given car that niggles you. It’s likely to always niggle you. And that can spoil your enjoyment, in the end.

buy in winter I'm sure you will get a much better bargain,any cat c will always be harder to sell as fewer people trust that the damage has been done correctly.

speaking from experience i know how hard it is to sell one 

walk away