It should have been so easy.....

NigelO

The Zetec lump in my Westie had got a bit tappety last time out - turned out to be low on oil. Rather than top it up (and not knowing what was in it) I decided to do an oil and filter change

I landed a bargain with Catrol Magnatec - normally £35 for 4 litres at Halfords - 20% discount brought it down to £28 and then I tried my trade card and another £6 was taken off - net price was £22 for 4 litres, which is a bargain when you consider 1 litre is £15

Filter was also nice and cheap at a fiver

Next came the removal of the sump plug. 25mm? nope - too small. 26mm? too big. Confused... Could it really be imperial? Vernier caliper confirmed it to be 1". A quick rummage around the toolbox confirmed that my imperial sockets stop at 7/8" and the spanners stopped at 11/16. No problem - I'll nip to Halfords. Nothing. Wickes, B&Q, a local motor factor - absolutely nothing at 1".

I remember when you had to be careful when buying tools to make sure you didn't pick up imperial stuff but now it seems a lottery win is more likely.

In the end, I went against my better judgement and used an adjustable, which worked OK, but I'll definitely need to get hold of a decent ring spanner for the next change.

So - a quick oil & filter change took four hours and thirty miles of driving :bangshead:

Lesson learned....

• Haha 1

I know been there , ran out of female wiring connectors so popped into town 1 hour round trip  for a few quids worth of connectors :cry:

I spent a very furiously volatile hour in my garage looking for the pencil that was tucked behind my ear :angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have a tool fairy in my garage, tools disappear and reappear at random when you want them, puts ages on simple jobs

My missus rolls the eyes when I dissapear into the garage and say I'll be half an hour! 

10 minutes ago, SXRORY said:

My missus rolls the eyes when I dissapear into the garage and say I'll be half an hour! 

Mine too. 'Garage time' she calls it. Different to normal time apparently, 1 hour equals 4......

I firmly believe that time does actually move slower in the garage than anywhere else. It's a theory that I'm working on at the moment, and If proven, could prevent many marital discomforts for a large percentage of the population. :d

• Haha 1

I wanted a couple of new 'U' clamps for my exhaust and went to a local bicycle and car parts shop for them. £6.50 he said. I gave him £7 whilst thinking it quite expensive as they're about £3 for two on eBay, and he said "Each, mate! £6.50 per clamp" "Sod that!", quoth I and wasted two hours trying to find them elsewhere. Got them FOC from a local garage eventually.

:bangshead: There isn't a 'cut off nose to spite face' smiley...

Our local Tesco had the Castrol magnatec 5w 30 on at £1.23 for 4 litres!.... We bought the lot! :yes:

18 hours ago, Jim G said:

Our local Tesco had the Castrol magnatec 5w 30 on at £1.23 for 4 litres!.... We bought the lot! :yes:

Surely a pricing mistake?

either way - well done! Was this recent? Might visit my local branch....

On 23/05/2018 at 08:20, TableLeg said:

Mine too. 'Garage time' she calls it. Different to normal time apparently, 1 hour equals 4......

garage time is the female equivalent of............i am  just gong to pop in to into this shop and try on this, dress/top/shoes/and bags :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

On 26/05/2018 at 18:34, NigelO said:

Surely a pricing mistake?

either way - well done! Was this recent? Might visit my local branch....

A couple of weeks ago now. They said they were not stocking it any more. Had proper reduced stickers on so not a mistake..

I lost my ratchet this weekend, completely gutted the garage, even hoovered it whilst the car was out...anyway didnt find it went to Halfrauds and bought a new one. Walked upstairs and my daughter handed the old one to me...apparently i'd used it putting a bed together...:blush: im getting worse!

• Haha 2