washing Nomex

Simon Waterfall Syman84

I'm sure someone can tell me. obviously after the very hot weekend we have just had, my stuff has had an over weight sweaty man in them for roughly 16 hours and could probably do with a clean.

whats the advice of you other competitors for cleaning you kit, is it a yes for the under garments and no no for the suit of do people tend to just chuck it in the wash.

cheers 

No care label on suit?

I use Nikwax wash which is a non detergent based liquid. It also helps stop fabric soaking up water when getting rained on.

Although I believe normal washing machine detergents are fine as nomex is a fireproof fabric, unlike some older garments which were a chemical coating.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Genuine Nomex can be washed OK and a good number of times. There should be instructions on the suit as to how. So follow the label instructions.

I used to be fussy, but as the years have gone by I've dropped down to just chuck it in the washing machine by itself with normal powder. Seems to work for me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, syman84 said:

I'm sure someone can tell me. obviously after the very hot weekend we have just had, my stuff has had an over weight sweaty man in them for roughly 16 hours and could probably do with a clean.

whats the advice of you other competitors for cleaning you kit, is it a yes for the under garments and no no for the suit of do people tend to just chuck it in the wash.

cheers 

Coincidentally I asked @John the same question on Sunday.  But it wasn't because I am an overweight sweaty man - I had a dirty mark on a white bit through laying under the car...:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

I´m very very fussy about my race wear... as I can´t afford to buy race wear too often.

I do clean it with normal powder three times each season no more, no less. (unless like this season, that unfortunately have not been used at all nearly half way of the year for first time in 10 years), and I never use softener.

Every time I get home after a meeting i put it in a hanger inside out for several days till doesn´t stinks.

Normally never comes back from a meeting inside its bag.

Never wear it without a full layer under (fireproof/cotton full underwear), so  the actual race suit doesnt gets too damp. I do the same with the gloves.

Underwear and balaclava, goes to the washing machine after every use... and never touches the dryer. Be sure to don´t spin it at high speed and use cold water.

It seems to work pretty well with my stuff and most of it looks fairly new.

• Like 2

Wash them too many times and you end up with the fashion award in many years time :p

Wash seldomnly and when they really need it in my opinion. They are not like pairs of old pants you know :rolleyes:

Oh - and pick your colour wisely. White is not a good choice unless you have a pit crew

• Like 2

ok great thanks guys i will give the underwear the wash after each event and then the suit when i think its required 

cheers 

I believe Mrs H. used a fairly cool wash on mine, but she's out at the moment so I can't check that. And drip dry, no spin!

1 hour ago, John said:

Oh - and pick your colour wisely. White is not a good choice unless you have a pit crew

Some people have found this the hard way...

2 hours ago, John said:

- and pick your colour wisely.

I did! :) to match the Lardy Ones

2 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

I did! :) to match the Lardy Ones

Lead recovered?

11 minutes ago, maurici said:

Lead recovered?

No entiendo ???

2 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

No entiendo ???

Spanglish... sorry. :)