Le Mans - Ear Defenders, Radio, intercom

kevip6

9 hours ago, Blatman said:

Been saying this for years... get a set of custom molded earplugs. Most vendors will make them with cutouts to hold "normal" in ear headsets that come with most music players/phones. https://www.noisebreaker.com/noisebreaker/recreation/mp3-phone/

I've had mine for getting on for two decades. I need a new pair now but I use them every day on the motorbike as well as when driving the Westfield and they are one of the best purchases I have ever made. Get them flesh coloured and avoid the Gendarmes, which is more than I did :oops::getmecoat: 

https://www.noisebreaker.com/

There are loads more...

Brilliant, I have sent an enquiry to them about local fitting.  They certainly seem like a good option! 

I suppose if I'm using a radio with headphones I won't need the defenders or they may well work over the top of these in ear defenders  :t-up::t-up:

Another vote for the Emtec Noise breakers. I was supplied with a set from work which I kept when I left. They were no good to anyone else as they are moulded to my ears. Amazing noise cancelling qualities but still able to hear voices. I think it's witchcraft myself, but it works... 

12 hours ago, Blatman said:

It's not necessarily the exhaust. Once speed gets much above 30 to 40mph it's wind noise as much as anything else.

My earplugs have holes right through with filters so I can still hear, but the worst of the low frequency noise and wind noise is removed.

And in a court of law I'd like to see a Judge conclude that earplugs cut out more noise than a Westfield drowns out naturally.

These might fit the bill... https://www.noisebreaker.com/noisebreaker/recreation/motorcycling/

This only applies to France and like I have said already "I understand It as any device that will impair your hearing while driving" even if it cuts the noise down I can't see a way round the statement that I have posted.

God forbid if your in a crash and the Police catch you with ear plugs in as I can see the full weigh of the law bearing down on you, do they still have the guillotine in France anybody?

That's enough from me on this subject.

Fair enough. My points here are that the law is usually open to interpretation and I suspect the impairment must be shown to have a direct causal relationship to the incident in question. I doubt I'd be in any trouble if for example, whilst wearing earplugs the local farmer in his 2CV rear ends me.

If there is a fine for just wearing them then I doubt the gendarme would want payment immediately (I know for some offences they do) then I'd be willing to risk it. My hearing is easily worth a fine, even a quite large one.

9 hours ago, kevip6 said:

I suppose if I'm using a radio with headphones I won't need the defenders or they may well work over the top of these in ear defenders  :t-up::t-up:

I've only half read this thread, but from my experience of sitting in the starline stands at LeMans for the last 20years they can be a pretty noisy and uncomfortable place.

We're normally based in one of the stands on the finish line oppsite the clock and The roofs of these are made of a corrigated tin and do a fine job of amplifying the noise of any engine as it goes doen the straight at speed to quite uncomfortable levels.  The french tannoy and commentators can also get quite noisy, irritating and excitable so some form of ear defenders are a great aid in ensuring you only hear radio lemans on your radio :)

• Thanks 1

The Panoz was spectacularly noisy when in the stands... and at 3am in the camp site when trying to get to sleep, come to think of it. But what a noise :love: 

On 5/18/2018 at 00:21, Blatman said:

I've got these and are great as ear plugs so when I saw you could get headphones fitted in them and the good reviews  I ordered another pair to take sennheiser headphones . but they sounded terrible so I just use them as ear plugs