Le Mans - Ear Defenders, Radio, intercom

kevip6

Hi All. 

I'm off to Le Mans for the first time this year and am pretty much set but ordering the last few bits.  I would like a radio to listen to the commentary and I've been told ear defenders are a good idea?

So... I'm after some advice on how these can be tied in together. I need a set of ear defenders for a shotgun for which I am currently in the licence application stages of and I would be getting a powered set of over ear (I don't like in-ear ones) so I can still have a conversation without removing.   Does anyone on here use these in their Westfield's? I think some have phone and Bluetooth functionality and so I would be able to use these for Le Mans radio, Shooting, and driving the Westfield.   

Any thoughts?

Check out the rules for driving in France with regard to earphones and headsets.  Normal headphones have been banned, so I suspect ear defenders may be as well.

I actually bought mine there a while back, decent quality, will use again for the upcoming Classic this year.

1 hour ago, GuitarmanUK said:

Check out the rules for driving in France with regard to earphones and headsets.  Normal headphones have been banned, so I suspect ear defenders may be as well.

Thanks for the help, I will message Stuart and point him to the thread for advice

I will be driving the Focus down there so it's more for general use around the circuit as well as ongoing use after the trip :t-up:

I use these for shooting...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peltor-Tactical-Electronic-Ear-Defenders/dp/B00009363P/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526576418&sr=8-3&keywords=peltor+tactical+ear+defenders

They are sound cancelling ear protection so you can hear perfectly normally but if anyone shoots near you they cancel the noise out.

I think in a car with wind noise they might amplify the sound as they are only meant to cancel out really loud noise. I know when I have shot in an indoor tunnel range with extraction fans they become annoying as the fans are not loud enough to be cancelled.

(These can be found cheaper its the only link I could find.)

The laws on restricting your hearing in France are in place now. It has been mentioned on the internet that the police have not 100% enforced them to date. However should you be involved in another incident while wearing any device that restricts your hearing the full penalty will be applied. It has also been mention that this summer they will not be turning a blind eye to this.

So do they consider wearing ear plugs and a helmet as restricting your hearing ?

Are you doing the 24hr or the classic. There are a few of us going to the 24hr with the jpsc.

Matty

4 hours ago, Stuart Faulkner - Shows & Events Coordinator said:

I use these for shooting...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peltor-Tactical-Electronic-Ear-Defenders/dp/B00009363P/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526576418&sr=8-3&keywords=peltor+tactical+ear+defenders

They are sound cancelling ear protection so you can hear perfectly normally but if anyone shoots near you they cancel the noise out.

I think in a car with wind noise they might amplify the sound as they are only meant to cancel out really loud noise. I know when I have shot in an indoor tunnel range with extraction fans they become annoying as the fans are not loud enough to be cancelled.

(These can be found cheaper its the only link I could find.)

That's interesting Stuart, thanks for clearing that up as I was concerned that would be the case. Looks like I need 2 seperate systems. 

1 hour ago, matthew902 said:

Are you doing the 24hr or the classic. There are a few of us going to the 24hr with the jpsc.

Matty

Yes the 24hr as well. Camping at Porsche Curves and have a grandstand near the start/finish. We're heading over on the Wednesday morning so making the most of it!

4 hours ago, neptune said:

So do they consider wearing ear plugs and a helmet as restricting your hearing ?

I understand from the internet the answer to ear plugs is yes. Helmet no. There has been quite a lot of question and answers in people interpreting the law with a whole bunch of them interpreting it to suit what they want to use. Health and safety with ear plugs has been mentioned but to be honest if it's that loud then your exhaust is wrong. Let's have a bit of common sense applied here.

I understand It as any device that will impair your hearing while driving.

Been saying this for years... get a set of custom molded earplugs. Most vendors will make them with cutouts to hold "normal" in ear headsets that come with most music players/phones. https://www.noisebreaker.com/noisebreaker/recreation/mp3-phone/

I've had mine for getting on for two decades. I need a new pair now but I use them every day on the motorbike as well as when driving the Westfield and they are one of the best purchases I have ever made. Get them flesh coloured and avoid the Gendarmes, which is more than I did :oops::getmecoat: 

https://www.noisebreaker.com/

There are loads more...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Terryathome said:

but to be honest if it's that loud then your exhaust is wrong.

It's not necessarily the exhaust. Once speed gets much above 30 to 40mph it's wind noise as much as anything else.

My earplugs have holes right through with filters so I can still hear, but the worst of the low frequency noise and wind noise is removed.

And in a court of law I'd like to see a Judge conclude that earplugs cut out more noise than a Westfield drowns out naturally.

These might fit the bill... https://www.noisebreaker.com/noisebreaker/recreation/motorcycling/

It’s usually wind noise, followed by induction noise if you have multi throttle bodies and no bonnet or air box to damp them down, with exhaust noise coming somewhat down the list, (assuming an IVA passable exhaust, at least).

I learned too late with the old aeroscreened XE car to use earplugs under my helmet. I used to wonder why after enthusiastic(!) drives of forty minutes or so, or longer, that I’d get bad headaches for an hour or so afterwards. Going to earplugs, IIRC, at Blatter’s suggestion stopped that immediately. Unfortunately I also discovered that I was too late and had already done some damage.with the sort of hearing loss pattern common amongst bikers.