Sign in to follow this  
stephenh

What Engine Oil?

Now my car has done over 500 miles, it is time for its first oil and filter change, and spanner check on external nuts etc on the engine.

I've used Comma Classic 20-50 engine oil for the initial running in, and I'm planning to use the same now for this oil and filter change. However I'll do another change when it has done another 1,000 or 1,500 miles, I think, having regard to the age of the engine and the relatively high state of tune. That has got me wondering what oil to use then when it can be treated as well run in? Do I run it on a mineral oil indefinitely, in which case what I'm using now may be as good as anything, or do I change to a good quality semi-synthetic, or even a high performance fully synthetic? I have read that the modern fully synthetic oils lack certain additives which aren't needed on modern engines but are still needed on "old school" engines even if they are fully rebuilt to a high standard.

I'd be interested to know what people who have BMC Cooper S cars, or Sprites/Midgets, for sprinting or for trackdays use. What do people with highly tuned Ford Crossflows use, as that is of a similar era?

Unless I get the advice I need on here I might give Opie Oils a ring.

I just used Halfords 20w-50 since it never stayed in the engine that long!

+1 for the Valvoline - a recommendation from Rally Preparation Services (Witney, Oxon) who have looked after a few A series engined cars over the years.

20/50 grade.

Simon

I've just done some more research; I am a fan of Millers engine oils, having used them throughout my 7 years or so of competing in the Speed Series, so i thought I'd have a look on their website to see what they offer for high performance classic engines. They make Millers Classic Sport High Performance 20W-50 engine oil, which they claim has all the additives needed by these engines, but in a fully synthetic base. So I think that is what I'll be using once I've got a couple of thousand miles on the clock. 

1 hour ago, stephenh said:

I've just done some more research; I am a fan of Millers engine oils, having used them throughout my 7 years or so of competing in the Speed Series, so i thought I'd have a look on their website to see what they offer for high performance classic engines. They make Millers Classic Sport High Performance 20W-50 engine oil, which they claim has all the additives needed by these engines, but in a fully synthetic base. So I think that is what I'll be using once I've got a couple of thousand miles on the clock. 

I use the same stuff in my Puma engine now. It seems OK but I add some ZDDP in addition to be sure. (recommended levels of ZDDP for max protection =1500ppm and the Millers stuff has apparently 1040 ppm). The reason for the reduction in ZDDP in modern oils? Step forward Mr Catalytic Converter which of course A series do not have.

I am not sure that fully synthetic is a good thing for an old engine like an A series though. I personally would opt for something mineral based.