Upset neighbour

wizzer

2 hours ago, CosKev said:

@Thrustyjust those 3 ltr BMW's are noisy even with a standard exhaust!

You can alter the cold start on them though via the touchscreen

Why would you want to do that ?. Sounds great like a constipated hornets nest with a stick being prodded in it. :d

Found    http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/cars-and-noise.asp

Noise

The external noise emitted by passenger cars has been controlled since 1929 when the Motor Cars (Excessive Noise) regulations were introduced. New cars are now required to meet Europe-wide noise limits. These have been progressively reduced from 82 decibels (dB (A)) in 1978 to the current limit of 74 dB (A) established in 1996.

When looking at this information please note that off-road vehicles are allowed to be 1dB (A) louder, as are direct-injection diesels. These allowances are cumulative, so the limit for an off-road vehicle with a direct injection diesel engine is 76 dB (A).

The noise levels quoted above are the maximum levels that are permitted for new vehicle types. Many vehicles produce lower levels of noise, and it is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle to make it noisier than the level recorded for that model at type approval.

A new EU regulation is being introduced  from July 2016, Regulation (EU) No 540/2014, which will phase in tighter noise limits over 10 years, together with a revised, more representative  test procedure. By 2026 the limit for most new passenger cars will be 68 dB(A).

So, in theory, anyone with a standard production car cannot fit an aftermarket exhaust ( as they are on a whole noisier) without breaking the law ?

The noise levels quoted above are the maximum levels that are permitted for new vehicle types. Many vehicles produce lower levels of noise, and it is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle to make it noisier than the level recorded for that model at type approval.

Luckily we dont have that type approval then ! So there is no argument.

They wouldn't like this.

Hi, All,

The numbers quoted above are somewhat meaningless without specifying a distance from the source.  The IVA test (98dB(A)) is carried out at 0.5m from the exhaust outlet, at 45 degrees to the direction of the outlet and at 3/4 engine maximum rpm (similar to how cars are tested at motorsport events).  The numbers above will, I am sure, relate to a prescribed "drive by" test.

Typically, a background sound level of 50-55dB(A) would be found if you read a noise meter outside in a quiet garden (with only slight intrusion from almost ever present traffic, wind, aircraft noise).  Talking near to a meter will send it up around 65-70 dB(A) and whistling (pursed lips,not fingers in the mouth) will register 80dB(A).  Regular exposure to 80dB(A) and above should send you scurrying for ear defenders - petrol lawnmowers typically have stickers advising of levels around 95dB(A).

Your neighbour may be (possibly self) sensitised to your car and, in a quiet area and time, if he is woken by it (or the dawn chorus, the milkman or his wife snoring) he will be awake and aware of the car pulling away for a distance.  When I was getting ready to go to Stoneleigh the other weekend, I could hear Subarus heading for JapFest, droning their way along the A420 1.75 miles from the house.  It was a still, warm day.  I would not have heard this on a wet morning, or if weekday traffic was making its way past my house, or if a westerly wind was blowing.

You could have a look at the MSA website (www.msauk.org) and look for a local Environmental Scrutineer who would, I am sure, carry out a test for you locally.  However, I am sure that, if you try to keep the noise (and unnecessary revving) down as far as possible, so you are able to hand-on-heart say that you are not being unreasonable, you can carry on with your life and your neighbour will have to get over the fact that someone with a sports car lives nearby.  Heaven knows, I am often out early and not all my cars are what are traditionally regarded as quiet but I do try to sneak about first thing!

Simon

• Thanks 1

personally I think it is appalling that you keep waking your neighbour and think you should store the car somewhere else.

as it happens I have space next to my westy in north wales if that helps

:-D

I've got a BMW M135i with an aftermarket exhaust. Cold start on it is bl**** loud, though it settles down fairly quickly.

I moved to a very rural hamlet a year or so back, and now tend to turn the car on in the garage, so it can go through the cold start and quieten down before I leave. It's a little embarrassing otherwise!

I've not managed to give myself carbon monoxide poisoning yet...

I had a neighbour who was a right piece of work.  She was a feckless single mother with a little girl of about 2 years old.  Did all sorts of antisocial stuff I won’t get into, but one of them was loud parties with music in her garden until 3 AM on a regular basis.  Drove all of her neighbours crazy.

i was working on The Wench one Saturday afternoon at 1300, attempting to tune the carbs at idle, when she stormed over and started screaming at me that I was being too loud and that her daughter was trying to nap.  I gave her my opinion on the noise levels she created by screaming and by her late night garden parties, and told her to shut the girl’s double glazed bedroom window, which was open, if she wanted to reduce the noise inside.  I wasn’t hassled again and the parties finished at 10 PM after that.

Oh, and “old” green car?  That’s what I’d be narked about! :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captain Colonial said:

Oh, and “old” green car?  That’s what I’d be narked about! :d

Know the feeling!

once sat at some traffic lights in the previous black and yellow car, aeroscreened, carbon fibre bits everywhere, Race Technology DASH2 digital dash, all high tech stuff; heard some kid call out to his mates “hey, look at that old grandad car!” Was in a foul mood, all the way home! :d

• Haha 2

Are you sure it wasn’t “Hey look at that old grandad, in that car!” ?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, RussH said:

Are you sure it wasn’t “Hey look at that old grandad, in that car!” ?

Nope, was ten or twelve years younger and wearing a full helmet, so not so much of me visible!

:d

Different now, these days I need very few props when dressing up for Santa blats at Christmas!

Judging by the letter, the grammar, spelling and content....... I would say a millennial generation young single mother, living in council rented property (DSS), probably has a few kids to keep the free money rolling in (who make more noise than Brian Blessed in a shouting contest), probably doesn't drive.

Poor language skills, emotionally written to make you feel bad, complaining about noise when she should be getting up for work. The only thing I find odd is no mention of you waking up any children, which I would have expected to be mentioned several times.... Perhap she's older with no kids, maybe 60+ and retired, BUT that writing is far too poor to be a 40+!!!

12 minutes ago, Lyonspride said:

Judging by the letter, the grammar, spelling and content....... I would say a millennial generation young single mother, living in council rented property (DSS), probably has a few kids to keep the free money rolling in (who make more noise than Brian Blessed in a shouting contest), probably doesn't drive.

I despair of this place sometimes.

Why are any of your assumptions relevant? Does being a single mum mean she’s less likely to deserve a lie in?

56 minutes ago, RussH said:

I despair of this place sometimes.

Why are any of your assumptions relevant? Does being a single mum mean she’s less likely to deserve a lie in?

Because nonsense like whiney letters through the door and not knowing where it came from, only serves to create tension, wondering who it is, whether they're going to create trouble for you, is it a deeper problem? what might they do? might they damage your property? is it safe to leave the Westfield outside? Do they frequent other internet motoring forums? might they have a pile of frozen sausages and a large mallet?

It's important to use what information you have, to work out who it might be in order to put your own mind at ease and to avoid creating awful neighbourly tensions by suspecting the wrong people.
When one of our cats was poisoned (first with rat poison and then with anti-freeze), both my GF and myself both said we could no longer live in an area where one neighbour was capable of doing that, and not knowing who it might be was easily the worst thing about the whole thing (that and a £3000 vets bill).

• Like 1