PC problem

jeff oakley

Hi All,

Windows 10 wants to update as normal, but this time it is saying cannot as virus scan 8 needs to be uninstalled. Problem is I cannot see said program anywhere on PC. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I looked for that and there is nothing MacAfee. I even uninstalled Adobe as I read that it was sometimes stuck in there.  

I am not a computer wizard, far from it. I have looked in the list of programs that you can uninstall. I did a search for any MacAfee products or anything with Virus scan 8 in the search box and nothing comes up. 

The Windows update just keep saying it cannot update and presents the fix button. When clicked it then gives the message that Virus Scan 8 is in compatible to update and must be removed, click the remove button and it then says it has to be done manually.

That is where I am sort of stuck.

Sounds like you have used or installed a McAfee product and this got bundle in without your knowledge.

We used McAfee at work and even after it was removed, it kept elements of itself on the PC, it was right ballache.

I've always found Revo uninstaller to be a good tool for fully installing unwanted programs.

4 hours ago, Andy Banks - Chairman said:

I've always found Revo uninstaller to be a good tool for fully installing unwanted programs.

I prefer CCleaner but no matter.

I think what we are saying here is that Virus Scan 8 may have been installed and un-installed at some point but enough of it's entrails remain for it to cause problems.

Both CCleaner and Revo uninstaller should be able to deal with those entrails (likely buried in the Registry somewhere) and allow you to proceed with the update. 

I use both. Revo won't do anything unless it finds it as a program. Which it likely won't if Windows hasn't. Ccleaner might help though

You could try running Task Manager (just type this into the Cortana box), and see if the virus scan is in the list of startup programs.  Mine looks like this

image.png.847a1fe6d939899b37825acdbaab5066.png

If you find it in the list, you can disable it.  Then restart your computer and see if you can do the update.

Geoff

I wouldn't restart the PC after disabling the programme in Task Manager. IF it is in there, and IF the troublesome programme is an anti-virus or security programme it is likely to be set to start with Windows, so a reboot will just bring it back to life.

IF it is in task manager, disable it and try the update straight away.

Check if mciffy has a removal tool on their website.     I had an issue having loaded normal AVG at work, realised my activation code would only work on the business edition.   Removed the normal one in the normal way,  Could not completely install the business one as there where remnants of the old one.    Then could not remove the half installed business one either.   I was so close to Doing an open window drop kick format!