Mysterious oil spots on the road surface

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

I noticed these strange elliptically shaped rings of oil stains on the road many years ago but haven't, until now, photographed one. They vary in size but are always 'hollow' and the major axis of the ellipse always lies parallel with the road's path. I imagine that they drop from a vehicle's sump or other oily part and the airstream blows them into a bubble which breaks as it falls and the forward motion of the droplet distorts the proportions in favour of the direction of travel.

Because vehicles drop oil less often these days (Crossflows notwithstanding!) the phenomenon is now fairly rare. This one was on the road outside a country pub near me and the preponderance of old Land Rovers probably raises the likelihood of drops locally.

eStIaGp.jpg

Landrovers drop far more oil than that, but its gearbox/transfer box oil usually.  Which reminds me.

Does anyone know how to get engine oil stains off the tarmac.  I've tried detergents, but nothing seems to make a difference

Has none of you any scientific curiosity? :nope:

Retired I may be, but I noticed this phenomenon long before that - mainly in little country lanes near little country pubs... Oh, and as for the shoes Bernie they're Brantano's finest plastic leather! :blush: