I can't quite believe it myself.....

Stu Faulkner

Who says 1.6 is down on power just had my car mapped after fitting ME221 and reads 127bhp at the fly not bad from stock engine

In the mx5 in the real world there's not much difference between the acceleration of the 1.6 and the 1.8. If you go down the 1.6 route. Just have a think about your differential choice. The 1.6 has a 4.3 vlsd ideally you want a torsen from the 1.8 

40 minutes ago, PFT said:

Who says 1.6 is down on power just had my car mapped after fitting ME221 and reads 127bhp at the fly not bad from stock engine

That,s a good output for a 1.6.:yes:

Ideally I want a starting point of 130 with the option to go up to 200 as the mood takes me.

I'm sure that both engines have there benefits.

1 hour ago, Stuart Faulkner - Shows & Events Coordinator said:

That,s a good output for a 1.6.:yes:

Ideally I want a starting point of 130 with the option to go up to 200 as the mood takes me.

I'm sure that both engines have there benefits.

130bhp is easy from a 1.6 with little more than a head skim and 3-angle valve seats.

i'm at 138bhp with my 1.6 with a blink head but still on the stock Mazda ECU.  I've just picked up a pair of piper cams to experiment with to see what else I can extract from it.

The 1.6 is also lighter than the 1.8. The differences in the engine, differential, propshaft and brakes all add up to 40kg !

If I was doing it again I'd be looking at the 1.6 brakes etc even if using the 1.8

I thought you're selling your car because you didn't use it enough....................  but its because you can't handle the VTEC Power :p :laugh:

1 hour ago, Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO said:

I thought you're selling your car because you didn't use it enough....................  but its because you can't handle the VTEC Power :p :laugh:

I would use a screen car more than what I have now. 

I had though about converting mine but it’s easier to sell and get another one.

If you're looking for a donor, the Facebook group below regularly had bargains popping up that have failed MOTs due to rust.  Also good for finding spare parts.  Worth joining and keeping an eye out:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1549636505261984/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stuart Faulkner - Shows & Events Coordinator said:

Ahhh

decisions decisions. :oops:

For n/a power it's easy. If the target is 150-160bhp, stick to the 1.6. It's lighter and sounds better. If the target is higher, the 1.8 will be cheaper.

Thanks to the magical powers of boost, they're not too different when aiming for 200bhp or something. The 1.6 will be working a little harder, but won't be stretched and both will cost the same to get there.

• Like 1

Anyone know what the weight of the 1.6 is like? Just wondering how it compares to Ford’s 1.6 Sigma engine.

13 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Anyone know what the weight of the 1.6 is like? Just wondering how it compares to Ford’s 1.6 Sigma engine.

I don't know the bare weight of the engine but my 1.6 SDV weighs 580kg with carpets and full weather gear on board.

Well I can tell you that without the ancillaries i can just about lift it out the back of my astra Estate 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO said:

Brave, given what you've taken off your car :laugh:

• Like 1