woodman

Fuel injection help please.

I am fitting a standard Toyota 20V 1600 to my old westy.

I have always had engines on carbs before so am a bit unsure of best fi pump to use .

It will be used for Hillclimbs and already has a 10L tank - redtop pump - swirlpot 11/2L

Then I think i need- Fi pump? - fine filter?-engine

just looking for a budget setup, I have seen some at 'Rally Design' but didnt really know which is most suitable

any advise please

thanks

Stu

It's a lengthy read, but everything you'd ever want to know about budget fuel injection conversion parts is hiding in here:

Matt Lewis Racing (mentioned in that thread) are great for Sytec pump and filter by the way

Thanks Mike

I will have a read thru.

The 20V engine has come with individual throttle bodies as standard, I have an omex 500 + trigger wheel.

Will the regulator be necessary between the pump and swirl pot?

thanks

I presume you mean the existing carb pressure regulator? In which case no, it isn't needed and you could just swap to a simple filter to keep the fuel clean entering the swirl pot from the low pressure pump

@Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO has a nice swirl pot schematic that he's forgotten about recently 

2 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

I presume you mean the existing carb pressure regulator? In which case no, it isn't needed and you could just swap to a simple filter to keep the fuel clean entering the swirl pot from the low pressure pump

@Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO has a nice swirl pot schematic that he's forgotten about recently 

I resemble that comment!

swirl-pot-diag.jpg

My tank has a basic gauze filter inside (std I believe) and the lp pulp has a filter in it too. So I only have one inline filter added to keep crud getting to injectors. 

• Like 1

The Sytec pump from rally design is a good shout. Both Marto and I use the 8mm feed in and out, with a fuel filter before and after the pump. You can spec them to suit the lines coming from the tank - they're fully customisable.

I tried a Bosch 044 copy item but they're crap. The Sytec one is great though.

Have you got a small tank you can fit and do away with the swirl pot and low pressure pump? I may have one if you don't.

Then a high pressure pump and a fuel filter from a ford or Saab. I may also have a spare pump and part number for filter.

A

• Like 1

Thanks Ash.

I have my old  foam filled 10L tank. It has an 8mm supply pipe ( to LP pump ) and also a return pipe and also a vent.

I already have a swirl pot with 8mm return, 8mm inlet, vent to fuel tank and 13mm to pump.

I thought I would use swirl pot due to only having 8mm feed to Fi pump if direct off tank- Is that right? But I would prefer just to feed the HP pump direct from tank and do away with swirl + LP pump if the 8mm feed would cope. Its only a std engine after all.

if you have a spare Pump/filter then that would be great. I had been looking at the Sytec ones from 'Matt lewis racing' as recommended in an earlier posts by Mike and Barney. ( Are you by any chance attending 'Bromyard Speed Festival' at SW or Loton next week?)

Thanks Stu

Hi . We are at Loton next weekend and will take parts along.

Get your tank rewelded with a bigger fuel feed line. Or if its a flat tank fit a bulkhead connector. Get to a dash 8.

Easy enough then you can delete the swirl pot, extra pump, wiring etc.

Thanks Ash

I hope to be there with Tim Pennington.