Flush mounting Areocatches

BugMan

Having previously bought the flush mounting Aerocatches (locking) in carbon and realising I need the rear-mounting type (thanks to those who spotted my mistake) does anybody have a good, cheap suppler as I have obviously bought the wrong type?

Tar

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Insuranceman

• Andy (Sycho)

• BugMan

• Thrustyjust

just be aware there's loads of knock-offs about. If they seem too cheap they probably are the fakes. Best buying from a reputable seller as above

Thanks Steve, good advice as always, rather stay away from eBay for that reason, waiting for TJ's suggestion to confirm stock and cheekily asked for some discount, will wait and see

• 2 weeks later...
On 8 May 2018 at 14:32, BugMan said:

Thanks Steve, good advice as always, rather stay away from eBay for that reason, waiting for TJ's suggestion to confirm stock and cheekily asked for some discount, will wait and see

How easy are these catches to fit ?

Not easy from others builds, I’m setting up to do mine over the next few days, I’ll keep updating as I go as I really don’t like the standard WF ones

36 minutes ago, Insuranceman said:

How easy are these catches to fit ?

They are not easy and are very time consuming. Remember that the bonnet to side panel lugs are offset, so , its not a stencil copy from one side to the other. Just take it easy and check before you sand a bit more. 

3 minutes ago, Deanspoors said:

yeah are a pain, my recommendation would be to stick with the standard catches!

Must admit I am glad I had done them , rather than the standard galvanised catches

2 hours ago, Insuranceman said:

Will they pass the IVA?

Yes fine for IVA, but has said very time consuming to fit to a decent standard.

Well worth it though in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Insuranceman said:

Will they pass the IVA?

Yes passed iva two weeks ago with the ones fitted from the outside rather than the rear mounted ones I just couldn’t get a fit n finish I was happy with so bought a pair of carbon like ones and mounted them from the outside 

the locating pins were an interesting job but here’s a couple of pictures of mine

333DD832-A126-4BF4-A30E-6018DF76EB1B.jpeg

2FD47EED-A8F6-4C5A-8AE2-D3ABA4C7DDDE.jpeg

10 hours ago, Garyt said:

Yes passed iva two weeks ago with the ones fitted from the outside rather than the rear mounted ones I just couldn’t get a fit n finish I was happy with so bought a pair of carbon like ones and mounted them from the outside 

the locating pins were an interesting job but here’s a couple of pictures of mine

333DD832-A126-4BF4-A30E-6018DF76EB1B.jpeg

2FD47EED-A8F6-4C5A-8AE2-D3ABA4C7DDDE.jpeg

Does the locating pin go across the car in front of the scuttle?

Garyt, thanks for the pictures, has anyone else got any pictures?

My first post but finally something I know a little about !!  The aero catches are not easy to fit but are more than worth the effort in my opinion.  I was worried about not getting a good fit so after putting masking tape on the bonnet I used double sided carpet tape on the ‘ring’ that the catch would bolt to on normal cars and stuck it to the outside of the bonnet.   The ring was a very snug fit to the catch and stuck very securely to the bonnet. After cutting the shape out roughly with a disk I was able to use a sanding drum on the dremel and carefully sand down flush to the ring.  I found this was much easier than trying to work to a pen line as the ring was a perfect template.  With a bit of care I was happy with the result ! John

77D9F79F-6D1B-4222-BB4D-F1D897B4EA8F.jpeg

27D521CC-84DC-4E7E-BE6A-7F8917DBCB43.jpeg

41BDECD7-B4A7-4764-A01B-DC3D7794F154.jpeg

4F4628CF-6B1B-47A4-A267-F8C42D449325.jpeg

B35D49C8-4462-4066-8CA7-EF91E2346056.jpeg