MOT rule changes: 20 May 2018

DonPeffers

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

Some new items will be tested during the MOT.

They include checking:

if tyres are obviously underinflated

if the brake fluid has been contaminated

* for fluid leaks posing an environmental risk

brake pad warning lights and if brake pads or discs are missing

reversing lights on vehicles first used from 1 September 2009

headlight washers on vehicles first used from 1 September 2009 (if they have them)

daytime running lights on vehicles first used from 1 March 2018.

Also new categories of fail.  

* Dangerous--A direct and immediate risk to road safety or has a serious impact on the environment.
Do not drive the vehicle until it’s been repaired.-----Fail.

* Major--It may affect the vehicle’s safety, put other road users at risk or have an impact on the environment.
Repair it immediately.------Fail.

I manage an MOT testing station and nothing in the new regs should worry anyone. The MOT test standard still remains very similar. The MOT pass is a very low standard of road worthiness and from my experience Westfield owners cars are maintained to a very high standard.

Agreed on the Current Mot being a minimum basic level of road worthiness.   The fear is with anything new we could get failures on minor technicalities.   Once I find an mot place I like I keep going back.   I have no problem with genuine fails and in the last 24 years only had from memory 3 mot fails.   2 genuine and well spotted.   1 was so rediculous and uncorrectable I took it to an other MOT station.   

Can I ask Jonk179 on his interpretation of   "fluid leaks posing an environmental risk"  from https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018  resulting in being classified as either

'Dangerous--A direct and immediate risk to road safety or has a serious impact on the environment.
Do not drive the vehicle until it’s been repaired---Fail'   

or   'Major--It may affect the vehicle’s safety, put other road users at risk or have an impact on the environment. Repair it immediately.----Fail' 

especially relating to some older engines used in westies and renowned as leakers of oil?

My interpretation is that if a vehicle has an oil leak that is dripping it will fail and be a major defect, obviously if it is very bad then it would be classified as dangerous, a light misting would not constitute a failure. As to the view that older engines are renowned as oil leakers if an engine is leaking oil or any other fluid it needs to be rectified for both the owner and other road users safety. I would advise any owner to thoroughly clean the engine and transmission before test and if it fails ask the tester if it would be possible to view the car whilst on the ramp, I know we would allow this and it would allow the presenter to see the extent of the leak.

Any oil leak that is significant can pose a very serious risk to other road users EG: motorcyclists, cyclists and kit car owners !

On 5/6/2018 at 21:03, Jonk179 said:

My interpretation is that if a vehicle has an oil leak that is dripping it will fail and be a major defect, obviously if it is very bad then it would be classified as dangerous, a light misting would not constitute a failure. As to the view that older engines are renowned as oil leakers if an engine is leaking oil or any other fluid it needs to be rectified for both the owner and other road users safety. I would advise any owner to thoroughly clean the engine and transmission before test and if it fails ask the tester if it would be possible to view the car whilst on the ramp, I know we would allow this and it would allow the presenter to see the extent of the leak.

Any oil leak that is significant can pose a very serious risk to other road users EG: motorcyclists, cyclists and kit car owners !

How do they check those  HGV's that spew diesel fuel onto the road because they have been overfilled , or any other diesel powered car for that matter :)