bigdinners

13 years and nearly there !

On 05/05/2018 at 09:28, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

There’s a few well known things that people have been picking up fails on recently too, like tethers for the fuel cap. (If the key can be removed from the cap, when it’s open, the cap must be tethered to the car).Dot 4 or dot 5 brake fluid sticker, (whichever fluid you’ve used) on the bulkhead next to the master cylinder, correct operation of the fluid/handbrake warning lamp.

Also, if the build has been going some time, early looms with Westfield rocker switches for the fog lamp weren’t compliant. From your dash photos, you’ve got a different switch, but I’m guessing from the cut out, you’ve got one of the little banks of warning lights to go on? As long as you have one that only comes on with the fog lamp, that’s fine. 

There is confusion over how the fog lamp itself should operate, at the very least it must only come on with the side/headlamps. (I recall from Locost Builders some years ago, a clarification from Vosa that the full controllers for fogs weren’t required, but if you have one, there’s no harm in fitting. I did).

Not sure what numberplate arrangement you have at the back of the car, but be aware, if using the moulded plastic plate/number plate mount from the factory, that the size of standard plate it must accept changed a few years back; older ones are non compliant. If your mounting the plate straight on the tub though, you’ll be fine!

Thank's again Dave,

all good points and I think I have them all covered, I have wired the savage switch for the back light to come on when the switch is pressed but does not come on with the lights.

Looks a little odd in the dark but should meet the test requirements.

Ste 

On 05/05/2018 at 21:51, Thrustyjust said:

13 years is a long time. Some take a few years to build, others a bit less :d

As per Dave , to be honest. Getting the niggles done before attending means a smaller fail sheet or even a pass. I would question :

1/ Handbrake adjustment. Needs to be lower.

2/ Seats look very wide and may 'support' the seatbelt than going from the rear of the car ( guess on using intertias) to the shoulder , which may compress the seat ( as a guess)  Same as harness and holes senarios others have

3/ Check radius on tail pipe and heat shield

4/ Dominator headlights can be a pass/ fail , depends on how the examiner sees their light beam.

Just my tuppence worth. Rather make the effort now to pass than 'have to' go back a second time. 

Looks a great car and good luck when you go for the test. :t-up:

Thank's for these points,

I'll read up on the handbrake requirements today and make the adjustments.

I am also not clear on the seatbelt issue, when the seat is empty the belt does rest on the seat but when I am in it the belt rests on my shoulder, again I'll read up on it today.

I ditched the dominator lights and now have some 7'' ones fitted.

Thank's again 

Ste 

• Like 1

The IVA inspector has a little jig arrangement that they place in the drivers seat that corresponds to, I suppose, shoulder height of an average sized driver. The key dimensions for this are in the IVA manual, it basically gives you the height over a certain part of the seat that the belt must be able to run, without being “supported” by the seat. 

On 05/05/2018 at 09:28, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

There is confusion over how the fog lamp itself should operate, at the very least it must only come on with the side/headlamps. (I recall from Locost Builders some years ago, a clarification from Vosa that the full controllers for fogs weren’t required.....

Sorry Dave, just to clarify this the requirement for this is must only come on with dipped or main beam but Not side lights. 

Rear fog lamps 28.4