bigdinners

13 years and nearly there !

Hi all,

Well it's taken me 13 years but I am finally in a position to start filling out my IVA application forms and get my test booked.

The build has been on then off for many years, all due to family, work, budget, parts, enthusiasm, help, ignorance and doubt in my ability.

I bought a basic SDV kit in July 2004, bought and stripped a sierra Glsi for the relevant parts, bought a 1993 Mondeo 2.0 Zetec Ghia and stripped the engine from it  and went on the hunt for parts, some new but most second hand and refurbished.

I wanted the Zetec engine and I hope this doesn't come back to bite me, looking at the declaration form I think I have enough components from the sierra to gain an age related plate

What I don't want to do is submit the forms with an obvious error or something missing, it would be good to know what supporting paperwork you sent in ?

So I would like some help, something that you wish you had been told before you went for the test.

For example, I have just read that the fuel tank needs an approval certificate ? will the receipt from Westfield do or will they provide the correct papers ? 

I have added some photos, if you can see anything obvious that would be an issue then please let me know.

The car now has an IVA steering wheel, the correct front indicators and 7'' lamps.

Thanks Guy's, any help would be greatly appreciated !

Ste.

IMG_1773.JPG

Captured_2008-9-7_00000.jpg

Captured_2008-9-7_00002.jpg

Captured_2008-9-7_00003.jpg

Captured_2008-9-7_00005.jpg

Captured_2008-9-7_00007.jpg

Captured_2008-9-7_00008.jpg

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0834(2).JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

• Like 4

Full marks for your persistence building the kit.    Have you gone through the more recent IVA requirements?   Things have changed over the years since you started.  Hope you get it all road legal this summer.

Rear brakes have been a sticking point for some builders, they need bedding in and the front/rear balance is hard to achieve.

Is that bonnet scoop ok for IVA?

3 hours ago, SootySport said:

Full marks for your persistence building the kit.    Have you gone through the more recent IVA requirements?   Things have changed over the years since you started.  Hope you get it all road legal this summer.

Rear brakes have been a sticking point for some builders, they need bedding in and the front/rear balance is hard to achieve.

I think I am up to date, my brakes are an issue, they have never really felt good at all, I am getting the emissions checked next week, I'll get the brakes checked also.

if they are a problem am I right in thinking a bias valve can be installed as long as it is wired locked ? or is that a figment of my imagination ? 

Bias valve if adjustable needs to be locked, Yes.     Ask your local garage, who do your MOTs to test front/rear balance.  

Have you fitted the tank protection bar?

2 hours ago, V8 WSY said:

Ste. Just bang the car in. You can spend your life listening to people say this and that. 

Put the car in. If it fails you will have a definite list of action points. 

I sort of disagree, though I know the thinking behind it. The trouble is though, this too often leads to cars “built to fail”, and guess what, they do!

Build to pass, and the inspector will pick up on it, build to fail, and he’ll spot that too, and suddenly the test gets a lot more detailed! As, with their confidence lower, in your build quality, they check every last item.

Worse still, you end up with a bunch of “soft fails” on your sheet, that you then have to put right, alongside the major fails. Whereas if you avoid the major fails, many testers will simply ignore the soft ones, as they know those aren’t going to survive for long the minute you’ve got your certificate.

13 hours ago, SootySport said:

Bias valve if adjustable needs to be locked, Yes.     Ask your local garage, who do your MOTs to test front/rear balance.  

thanks!    I'll sort that next week..

12 hours ago, Sycho said:

Have you fitted the tank protection bar?

Yes, bar is fitted now, what a pain of a job to retro fit it,

Thanks ! 

10 hours ago, V8 WSY said:

Ste. Just bang the car in. You can spend your life listening to people say this and that. 

Put the car in. If it fails you will have a definite list of action points. 

Thanks,

I agree and also take on Dave's points and it is sort of the reason for the post, to make sure I have not missed anything daft.

I have tried really hard to make sure everything is to a good standard, even if the parts are pre-used.

All being well, forms will be completed on Tuesday morning.

17 hours ago, RussH said:

Is that bonnet scoop ok for IVA?

oooH, I think so it has a 2.5mm radius and now has a rubber surround, some one let me know if that is ok ?

7 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I sort of disagree, though I know the thinking behind it. The trouble is though, this too often leads to cars “built to fail”, and guess what, they do!

Build to pass, and the inspector will pick up on it, build to fail, and he’ll spot that too, and suddenly the test gets a lot more detailed! As, with their confidence lower, in your build quality, they check every last item.

Worse still, you end up with a bunch of “soft fails” on your sheet, that you then have to put right, alongside the major fails. Whereas if you avoid the major fails, many testers will simply ignore the soft ones, as they know those aren’t going to survive for long the minute you’ve got your certificate.

Having done iva twice now I reall have to side and agree with Dave on this. As both times the testers have said they are evaluating the car from the moment they see it

when you go to get your brakes checked get them to set your lights and check your emissions 

at home nut covers on all nuts you can see, edge trim on any exposed edges make sure that your fuel brake and wiring runs are all clipped at the appropriate spacings 

and take spare edge trim convoluted tubing tie wraps etc on the day

just keep going over and over her and if there are any other club members near you ask for a fresh pair of eyes to have a look as they might see something 

and finally good luck when it comes

There’s a few well known things that people have been picking up fails on recently too, like tethers for the fuel cap. (If the key can be removed from the cap, when it’s open, the cap must be tethered to the car).Dot 4 or dot 5 brake fluid sticker, (whichever fluid you’ve used) on the bulkhead next to the master cylinder, correct operation of the fluid/handbrake warning lamp.

Also, if the build has been going some time, early looms with Westfield rocker switches for the fog lamp weren’t compliant. From your dash photos, you’ve got a different switch, but I’m guessing from the cut out, you’ve got one of the little banks of warning lights to go on? As long as you have one that only comes on with the fog lamp, that’s fine. 

There is confusion over how the fog lamp itself should operate, at the very least it must only come on with the side/headlamps. (I recall from Locost Builders some years ago, a clarification from Vosa that the full controllers for fogs weren’t required, but if you have one, there’s no harm in fitting. I did).

Not sure what numberplate arrangement you have at the back of the car, but be aware, if using the moulded plastic plate/number plate mount from the factory, that the size of standard plate it must accept changed a few years back; older ones are non compliant. If your mounting the plate straight on the tub though, you’ll be fine!

13 years is a long time. Some take a few years to build, others a bit less :d

As per Dave , to be honest. Getting the niggles done before attending means a smaller fail sheet or even a pass. I would question :

1/ Handbrake adjustment. Needs to be lower.

2/ Seats look very wide and may 'support' the seatbelt than going from the rear of the car ( guess on using intertias) to the shoulder , which may compress the seat ( as a guess)  Same as harness and holes senarios others have

3/ Check radius on tail pipe and heat shield

4/ Dominator headlights can be a pass/ fail , depends on how the examiner sees their light beam.

Just my tuppence worth. Rather make the effort now to pass than 'have to' go back a second time. 

Looks a great car and good luck when you go for the test. :t-up:

On 05/05/2018 at 08:56, Garyt said:

Having done iva twice now I reall have to side and agree with Dave on this. As both times the testers have said they are evaluating the car from the moment they see it

when you go to get your brakes checked get them to set your lights and check your emissions 

at home nut covers on all nuts you can see, edge trim on any exposed edges make sure that your fuel brake and wiring runs are all clipped at the appropriate spacings 

and take spare edge trim convoluted tubing tie wraps etc on the day

just keep going over and over her and if there are any other club members near you ask for a fresh pair of eyes to have a look as they might see something 

and finally good luck when it comes

That's Great...... thank's !