Sport 250

Stephen Osborne

Hi.....just joined the Club as a potential owner. Apologies if the following question has been done to death but I've read opinions that the S2000 engine is well suited to Westfields and that the Focus ST engine isn't. 

Has anyone driven a Sport 250 please, and if so what was the verdict?

Many thanks.

Stephen.

it depends more really on what you expect from the car and how to drive it?

Do you want to cruise about the countryside or are you wanting to wring it's neck around a track day?

Is your preference for a high revving screamer or a low revs torquey engine?

The 250 is a very very quick car. And has bags of torque and you can stick the car In 3rd/4th and will happily potter about all day in that. Or if you drive like a loony it will do that too. However no matter what tyres you have you have to be aware it will spin the wheels up to 4th if you have lead feet. It really does struggle to get down all the power.

The s2000 is a more traditional engine for a 7 car with lesser torque and high revs and I'm sure they'll be a few guys along to give their opinion on it.

Best bet is to try and get a passenger ride in both if you can. 

I'd recommend getting along to a local group meeting and have a chat the the members, in my experience the very best idea before coming to any particular setup.

From my research before I started down my build, I found personally for a kit to build myself the Sport 250 stood out as being able to source all the bits in one place over trying to find an S2000 engine gearbox was a bit of a decider, and the S2000 engine is becoming a bit harder to find from the comments I've seen on the forum.

Steve was our pathfinder in my book as was one of the first on the 250, so would stand by his comments above, with AdgeC a close second.

What you intend to use the car for and if you are on a self build or buy would also be factors.  Dave's S2000 build is a bible for me on the S2000, but has a lot of commonality with all WF builds IMHO.

Many thanks for those pointers. Knowing my son and son-in-law the car would be driven very hard on track. Sunday cruising would be an afterthought. 

I think we've just about the ability and tools to undertake building a kit.

Where, please, would you pitch the supercharged S2000 engined Westfield currently on sale by Toybox in the S2000 vs Focus ST debate?

Thanks again.

Stephen.

I can't speak for that one in particular, but in general, the Supercharged S2000 is an animal when pushed hard. Great combination, but massive, massive power for a seven type car. 

It's difficult without knowing you/your son/son in law and your relevant experience. Bear in mind Westfields as standard have no form of electronic traction control or drivers aids, and are a lightweight rear-drive car that is traction limited. in supercharged form, the S2000 sits between 300 and around 340 bhp, depending on mapping, intercooler, exhaust etc.

A lot happens very quickly at those sort of figures in these cars.

• Haha 1

Many thanks for that sobering perspective. We've got an MX5 based Exocet which we've supercharged to 270bhp / 230lbft but I'd guess that it weighs around 50% more than a Westfield. So I can imagine that over 300bhp in a much lighter car would be, to say the least, a handful.

.....perhaps should've mentioned that we've also got an S2000 which we've had from new, so we're aware of that engine's characteristics.

8 minutes ago, Stephen Osborne said:

.....perhaps should've mentioned that we've also got an S2000 which we've had from new, so we're aware of that engine's characteristics.

It's quite different in a much lighter car with the Vtec changed to come in a 4600rpm, so it's not such a big a step change in torque! 

I haven’t driven a sport 250 so I can’t really comment on it, but what I do know is the S2000 is very suited to a Westfield & is very drivable.  It will potter about in 6th all day  or make it scream, I love to supercharge mine one day if funds allow.

Then there’s the looks!!!:d

As a 250 owner, I concur with Steves comments above. Mines just run in, and starting to explore the performance on offer. The acceleration is breathtaking on a dry road. Haven't got near to using its full potential yet. However, i find it is a great car for touring round in, happily poddles around country roads, and if you want to get past something, you haven't got to wring its neck, just put your foot down, and the more than ample torque does the rest.

Damp/wet roads aren't a problem if you treat them with respect, and a gentle right foot. As stated above, bear in mind you have no driver aids unlike a current tint op. All adds to the challenge.

If you want to be a "born again teenager" (or perhaps you still are?) the waste gate "chuntering" when you lift off can be fun!

I built the car myself last year, went for the 250 because the same as Bugman, I wanted a complete turnkey kit. The 250 fitted my requirements on paper. I must same I am not disappointed. There are challenges along the way, even doing it the "easy way", I view it that they give the car character!

The WSCC is a great club, highly recommend going along to a local meet and chatting with owners, they're a friendly, enthusiastic bunch in my experience.

The forum is a great "in" to a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Best of luck with whatever you do. If you go the Westfield route, hope you get as much enjoyment as I am having, particularly when the sun comes out!

Very many thanks for all the very helpful and informative responses.

Waiting for Stoneleigh with bated breath!

Stoneleigh's a good opportunity to see a great assortment of cars. I'll be there from midday(ish) Sunday, to midday Monday if you want to see my 250 in the flesh. Give a shout if you want a chat.

Many thanks for that kind offer which I'd like to take advantage of during the Monday morning. Forgive my ignorance......how would I find you please?

Good point, have PM'd you my mobile no. Give me a ring, or send a text.

All being well, I'll be parked with the rest of the cars, in the WSCC parking area, in side the showground.

@Stephen Osborne you can't miss the Westfield area/stand!:laugh:

It's the massive one which is set out very smartly and makes all other owners areas/stands look very shabby! :sun:

• Thanks 1